Martin Ødegaard (Arsenal) - Isn't It Strange?

Requested: yes
Prompt: Reader and Martin used to die but they broke up and now she is the bridesmaid of his bride. Really sad stuff plz
Warnings: really sad stuff ig (update while writing; a bitch cried; it is me: I am a bitch)

Y/n paced the hall, looking at the door every few seconds. What was taking him so long. His bride to be had sent Y/n to go check on Martin to see when he was leaving for the ceremony but yhe groomsmen insisted that she wait until he finishes getting ready. After what felt like a lifetime, the door opened and there stood Erling, towering over her with a smile on his face. "You sure you're not getting married to him?" Erling joked as she walked in. "Luckily for myself, no. Now where is-" She stopped and looked over to an add-on part of the room to see Martin stood fixing his jacket. It finally began to settle in for Y/n; Martin was getting married. The kid she had known for years was finally getting married. He looked back to her through the mirror and grinned.

"Y/n. Everything okay?" Martin asked, checking himself out in the mirror. "Yeah. I'm fine. Your bride just wants to know when you're leaving." Y/n said, walking towards him. "Soon. I just can't seen to centre this stupid tie." Martin replied, clearly frustrated. "Did your dad not teach you how to tie a tie?" She joked. "No, he did, I just don't do them myself anymore. My stylist does." Y/n chuckled and stood in front of him. "That's how you know you've made it. You get your own stylist." Martin smiled as Y/n reached to the tie and began fixing it herself. "I don't think my bride would appreciate my ex sorting out my tie and not my groomsmen." He said. Bow did they date? Yes, they did. From the age of thirteen until twenty. She remembers it so vividly.

Y/n and Martin lay in one another's arms as the TV played. Y/n took a sharp breath in and turned to Martin. So.ething had changed about him. Maybe it was the football, maybe it was something more personal, but something had changed and it had been a slow but noticeable change. For Martin, it was the exact same. Maybe it was the fact she matured more since she started university, but something changed. It was strange for the two of them to lie, embracing eachother, yet, the only thing they had in common was the urge to take a break from their relationship. Y/n was taken from her trance as Martin took the control and muted the TV, before he sat up and smiled gently at her. "Y/n, I think we should talk."

"In your defense, they can't tie a tie either. Two of them are wearing the clip on ties and the rest are all horrible." Y/n said. Martin's lips formed into a thin line as he looked over to his groomsmen in a separate room, laughing along with one another as they sipped at their prosecco. "She could understand." Martin smiled. Y/n hummed in response and got to work. It was quiet between them, too quiet for Martin's liking. He looked around, not wanting to look down at Y/n. His wife-to-be knew about their past, but both Martin and Y/n assured her, they remained friends because they had been friends before they dated and had remained friends after their breakup. At the time, it was a lie. Martin still liked Y/n.

She seemed to be just like her old self but she had been talking to a new guy around that time so to prove to himself, and moreso Y/n, that he moved on. It went on to become the worst decision of his life because as he continued his relationship, Y/n ultimately decided to remain single for a reason he never knew. Their friendfroup would go out and Y/ would have men all around her and buying her drinks, yet she never picked one up.

Y/n talked to the new guy to disctract herself more than anything else. When Martin had told Y/n about this new girl he started dating, Y/n felt her heart break more than it already had.

"Remember when we were like six?" Martin asked, fixating on her focused expression. "We had a pretend wedding? That was fun. Remember?" He asked again. "Martin. I'm trying to fix your tie. Just hold still." She said harshly. Martin's smile vanished and he looked ahead. A silence fell upon them. Both sat thinking the same thing in that moment.

What is he doing?

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't- I shouldn't bring up us." Martin mumbled. "No, you shouldn't. Not while you're bride to be is currently adding the finishing touches to her dress." Y/n replied. Martin cleared his throat and sighed. "But-" Y/n paused. "I do remember." Martin looked down through hooded eyelids. "I remember you took your father's nicest coat from the hanger and I took my mother's new summer dress and pretty pink shoes." Y/n continued. "And I picked flowers from my mother's garden." Martin chuckled. "And since you picked flowers from your garden we mixed them together." She looks up to meet his blue eyes. Her knees nearly gave out. He was breathtaking. It physically pained her that they just didn't work out. It wasnt the distance, it wasn't that there was no love, it just didn't work out. "We got in a lot of trouble over that wedding." Y/n said lowly. "Well, hopefully this wedding doesn't get us in as much trouble." Martin said. "It's not me You're marrying. You should be fine." Y/n wore a smile lined with hurt.Martin's smile slouched for a moment. "Well-" He took a deep breath in. "That is a slight change."

"Y/n? The bride is looking for you." One of the groomsmen said. Funnily enough, the pair didn't stop looking at eachother for a single moment. They just stared at eachother like it would be the last time they saw eachother. "I suppose I should go." Y/n mumbled. "Maybe." He replied. He moved forward and put his arms around her shoulders, pulling her into an embrace. Y/n hesitates, but wraps her arms around his torso and sighs, breathing in the cologne he had sprayed on the grey fabric of his suit. "You look beautiful by the way." Martin whispered. "And you look pretty." Y/n replied, closing her eyes as she savoured the last few moments of their embrace.

Martin let go regretfully and shoved his hands in his pockets. "I'll let you head back now." He said. Y/n nodded and smiled gently. "Good luck, Martin." She said. Y/n reached up and caressed his face. "Don't let her go. No matter what. She's a good girl." He chuckled and looked to the ground. "I already let go of one good girl, how stupid must I be to do it again?" There went the heartstrings bring played like an old harp. "I'll see you later, yeah?" Martin nodded and watched as Y/n turned and left as quick as she came.

He looked back to the mirror and examined his perfect tie. He began thinking of all the good times he shared with Y/n. It was strange. They started as strangers in a classroom, then friends, then lovers and now just friends. That last part killed him. Because if there were other timelines, or if he could change this current timelines, he'd hoped that he would have met her at the altar that day and not the woman he was actually marrying.