Chapter 19 - Not-So-Happy Birthday

Ahhhh she's alive!

Hi everyone, it's been a while... I know I discontinued this story but I've been getting inspired lately and started writing again. I need to continue this story because I've been thinking nonstop about it.

I'm not promising a full complete story, and I'm still not sure where it's going. You can expect a few new chapters here and there!

I'm going to try to update twice a month, sometimes once a month, depends on how much I get done because I started a new chapter in my life and I am officially in art school for my undergrad! Almost done with first year, it's been great so far.

Of course, if you have any ideas for the future of this story please don't hesitate to message me.

Enjoy this chapter, and don't forget to comment & vote!

Love,
~ShoamEmily

~

29th of August, 2008
Michael is 50, Angela is 44, and Jake is 45

Jake: The sound of the alarm clock woke me up. I groaned, hitting the snooze button and covered my face with my arm.

Rob Martinez, who slept in the rack above me, jumped off. He hit my shoulder lightly, "Parker, wake up. The captain will kill us if we're not ready by six."

Martinez has been my roommate since we started the program around 4 years ago. Like me, he left his family behind; yet he was offered the option to leave them.

He made his way to the bathroom, then closed the door behind him.

Sighing, I sat up. The alarm clock told me it was the 29th. Mike's birthday.

After my talk with Angela yesterday I almost thought about telling Captain Bailey that I'm leaving the program. She again expressed how difficult it's been for her, knowing I'm alive and well, not being able to tell Mike. She said it's not fair that he gets to celebrate another birthday without me.

"Fuck." I mumbled, rubbing my face. Why is being away from them so hard all of a sudden? I've been doing this for almost 5 years now. It should've gotten easier.

Martinez emerged from the bathroom.
"You're not dressed yet? We have to be at breakfast in twenty."

I rolled my eyes and stood up; Martinez stopped me from going into the bathroom by grabbing my shoulder.

"Hey, you okay, Parker? You seem... Off lately." he said.

"Just tired," I lied. "I need coffee."

He let go of my shoulder. "Well, don't make me wait any longer."

After brushing my teeth, I quickly shaved the little stubble that formed recently. I looked in the mirror, sighing again. I have to get back to them.

~

At breakfast, Martinez was boasting about his latest workout. I wasn't listening, instead thinking about how I'm going to break the news to the Captain.

"Parker," I heard. "Parker? You in there?"

Martinez was snapping his fingers in my face. "Seriously, what is going on with you?"

"Haven't had my morning coffee yet." I told him and motioned to the full cup of coffee next to my plate.

"Drink up then, Captain's coming." he said.

I saw Captain Bailey walking our way. We all stood up in sync, and saluted when he stopped in front of our table.

"Dismissed," he nodded. "Conference room in 10."