Chapter 26 - Unsolved Problems

10th of October, 2008
Michael is 50, Angela is 44, and Jake is 45

Jake: I parked the car in front of the guest house at Neverland.

Michael was waiting for me outside, pacing.

"Mike." I called. He looked over and hugged me.

I was surprised, to say the least. He didn't really talk to me the whole time I've been here, only when necessary or when Angela would make him come along with her.

"All good?" I asked.

"Yeah," he pulled away. "Sorry, I got nervous. You were late and the last time you drove all the way from LA alone was- You know..."

"Right... Where's Angie?"

My best friend rolled his eyes at her name. Woah, I wonder what happened.

"She went to sleep. Said she was tired."

I heard laughter from the guest house, followed by Eric's voice.

"I told the kids you were leaving tomorrow, they asked to spend the night with you. Try not to talk about it too much, Lily was kinda upset... She cried earlier." Michael sighed deeply.

"Thanks, Mike. You're the best." I went in for another hug.

He patted my back, "Javon will be here around 3 AM to take you to the airport. We can't come, I have some things to sort out with Angela."

"She's mad, isn't she?"

"A little."

"So a lot." I cracked a smile.

Michael nodded. "It's fine. I'll talk to her when I get back."

"Sorry if you fought because of me."

He waved me off, saying that it wasn't my fault.

"She thinks you should've told Lily and Eric, 'take responsibility', you know?" he explained. "But I didn't want them to be more angry with you... They would have been more disappointed if it came from you. Angela's just being stubborn as usual."

The door to the guest house opened and out came my kids.

"Daddy, come on!" Eric urged.

Michael went to leave, but they called him back so they could give him a tight squeeze.

Lily whispered something in his ear, making him chuckle. "Tomorrow, I promise. We'll read until you fall asleep, okay? Have fun and don't go to sleep too late. I love you."

The way their little arms held him tight warmed my heart. There was no doubt he loved them like they were his.

But it soon turned into the bitterness I knew all too well. I quickly shook it off.

Michael placed a kiss on each of their heads, then they went back into the house. His eyes looked dead into mine as he stood up.

"I don't care what happens in Alaska, you have to come back, Jake. I'm serious. We can't- I mean, they can't live without you again."

"I won't leave them, I swear."

We hugged again and he headed to the golf cart. He seemed off, like something more was bothering him.

"Wait, Mike," I said. "I can tell something else is wrong. What is it?"

My best friend rubbed his temples, looking hesitant. "Angela said something about us... I really don't think she meant it because she's angry right now, but it hurt."

"What did she say?"

"She talked about why you didn't come back the first time around, when you remembered who you were... Then she said, and I quote, 'he could've saved me a lot of suffering if he came back then'."