Chapter 47 - Breaking Point

21st of November, 2009
Michael is 51, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Michael: Rain tapped loudly outside, heavy drops hitting the windows in a steady rhythm.

I woke up not too long ago and decided to be in bed a while longer.

Angela slept next to me, her perfect features relaxed, chest going up and down.

Her still very tanned skin was glowing, so full of freckles from our summer adventures.

They adorned almost every inch of her, from the top of her forehead to her ankles.

I let my fingers go to where they were most noticeable. Her shoulders, down her skinny arms... Each one of them seemed to have their own character today.

That dark wavy hair of hers, now not as shiny as it usually is, was up in a messy bun to try and cover the new patches caused from her hair loss.

We ended up staying a few more days at the beach house; it seemed like she needed a break.

And she got it, no more chemotherapy until next month.

This round of the treatment wasn't even the worst of what we were supposed to expect, it weighed so heavily on me.

No one should ever see their loved ones go through something like this... My beautiful Angie is an angel on earth, she of all people doesn't deserve this.

It should be me. Please God, if you have to take her, take me instead. I beg of you.

I wiped the tears that tried escaping and looked at my wife again.

With a kiss on her cheek, I got out of bed to start on breakfast.

As I finished brushing my teeth, I could hear my ringtone coming from the bedroom.

"Shit." I cursed and ran back to silence it before she wakes up.

But I was too late. Angela was already on my side of the bed, talking to whoever called me.

"We're doing good, Katherine," she said, a small smile playing on her lips. "Yes. I'm okay, it went smoothly. No- You don't have to- Fine. We'll be home around five... Yup, I'll tell him."

She hung up and looked at me, "Your parents are coming over for dinner, to 'help out'. So we have to be home before that."

"Sorry that woke you up, Ange." I said.

"I needed to wake up anyway, don't worry."

She threw the covers off, coming my way. Leaning up, she kissed me tenderly. "I'm gonna take a shower, then we can make breakfast together, okay?"

"How about I make breakfast while you sit back and relax?"

"I won't argue with that."

Kissing me one more time, she disappeared into the bathroom.

~

"Mmm, smells amazing, Mike." Angela's arms wrapped around me from behind.

Those warm lips of hers were pressed to the fabric of my shirt as she snuggled close to my back.

"Coffee?" I offered, reaching for the pot I just brewed.

"Please."

With her arms still around me, I poured her a cup.

When I turned around to give it to her, I frowned a little. Her hair was in a bun again, under a beanie.

She's been trying to hide her hair from me ever since our first day here.