Chapter 23 - No Holding Back

Oh, my God you guys, the next couple of chapters came out so wholesome, I really enjoyed writing them 🥹

Have fun ❤️

~ShoamEmily

~

15th of September, 2008
Michael is 50, Angela is 44, and Jake is 45

Jake: I watched as Angela's eyes filled with happy tears, and she kissed Michael over and over.

She giggled when she pulled away, telling him how much she loves him.

That feeling in the pit of my stomach crept in. Jealousy? Probably.

But I was happy for them, I really was. Angela expressed to me over the phone how she wishes they could go back to the way it used to be before Michael fell into a coma.

"We'll, uh, give you a few minutes alone," Adam told them, motioning for Javon and I to leave the guest house. "Come on."

I followed quietly, still hearing Angela giggle uncontrollably when we were outside.

Adam said he'll be in the car for when they come back. I played with my feet and put my hands in my pockets.

Javon cleared his throat, "I know that face. Do you still love her?"

"Excuse me?" I looked up at him.

"Angela. You still love her, don't you?" he asked.

"I thought you're only here to do your job." I mumbled.

"I know how it feels," the bodyguard kept going. "To love her and watch her choose him instead."

I ignored him. Nope, can't let my feelings get in the way. I'm the one who brought them together in the first place.

"She has that effect on people, you know."

That did it.

"Seriously, what's your problem?" I snapped at him.

"I just don't want you to get your hopes up. I did, I got hurt, and almost lost my job." Javon said.

"I don't have any hopes, Javon. Ange and Mike are happily married, do you really think I want to get in the way of that? I'm here for my kids," I rolled my eyes at him. "Sure, I still love her, and I'll never stop. But she hasn't been mine for a while now. I have no right to try and take away their happiness. And now Mike finally remembers... Angela waited so long for this."

I came close to his face. "The last thing they need is for more people to stab them in the back. They both had enough of that, trust me."

Just then, Michael and Angela came out of the guest house, hand in hand.

"Thank you, Jakey..." Angela was still crying when she hugged me. "I don't know what you did, but you brought him back."

Michael was next. I sighed into his shoulder.

"I can't thank you enough, Jake."

"You don't need to thank me. Just promise me to never let her go. She needs you, man."

He nodded slightly and pulled away. He looked so different all of a sudden.

"We'll talk to Lily and Eric soon, okay?" my best friend patted my shoulder. "I promise you'll get to be with them."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Get some sleep, Jakey. We'll see you tomorrow." Angela grabbed my hand and squeezed it before they left with Javon and Adam.