Chapter 40 - Together, Always

24th of July, 2009
Michael is 50, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Angela: Lily, Eric, Paris and Blanket walked into the living room, all of them sitting down on the couch.

"Where's Prince?" I asked.

We were telling the older kids about my surgery. Michael and I decided not to go into too much detail, we'll break the news after the trip.

"He said he's busy, mom." Eric answered.

Michael stood up. "I'll go call him."

"It's okay, I'll talk to him." I said.

Going upstairs, I knocked on Prince's room door.

He lifted his eyes from the game console he was holding, "I'm busy, mom."

"I can see that, honey, but your dad and I want to talk to you. All of you."

"You can tell me now."

I took a seat next to him on the bed. "We rather tell all of you, together."

"I'm not stupid, mom," he rolled his eyes. "I know something big happened. You were at the hospital, right?"

When I didn't answer, he scoffed and went back to his game.

"I'll tell you. You just can't talk to your siblings about this, okay? Can you put that game down first, please?" I scooted closer to him.

He paused the console, turning to me, his legs crossed.

"I saw you, you know... You were bleeding so much, mom. Like that time I woke up next to you, when dad was still in a coma... Grandma Katherine tried to keep us away, I still saw you. And dad, he looked so scared. I know you want to keep us safe... But I'm 12 now, mom. I'm the oldest. You and dad can tell me things."

"Oh, honey... I'm so sorry you had to see that. I'm okay now, I promise," I wrapped my arms around him. "I do need to have surgery. Then we're going on our trip, for two months.... And then-"

I stopped myself.

He doesn't need to know, not yet. Still, he has a good point...

"Then what?" Prince lifted his head, those big eyes that matched Michael's curious.

Right there in that moment I knew that if I told him, he really would have to grow up, and our happy boy would lose some of his innocence.

But against everything my heart was telling me, I opened my mouth to speak.

He wants to know.

"Then I need to have treatment."

"Treatment? For what?"

I squeezed him tightly, "For cancer."

"Cancer?" he looked at me. "Mom, you have cancer?"

Nodding, I brushed some light brown hairs from his face.

"Are you going to die?" my step-son whispered.

"I'm hoping not to, Prince... I'm going to fight it, I swear. So I can be here for you, and your siblings... Your daddy. Surgery is the first step." I said.

Finally, he hugged me as well. "I don't want you to die, mom."

My throat felt scratchy when the tears threatened to spill. I kissed the top of his head, promising him to try my best.

~

29th of July, 2009
Michael is 50, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Michael: Angela shifted on the hospital bed, and let out a huff.