Chapter 35 - Behind The Scenes

4th of July, 2009
Michael is 50, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Angela: Michael laughed loudly along with Geraldo as they went over the interview. The kids huddled up next to the monitors as well, trying to catch a glimpse.

It went so amazingly well; Geraldo asked all the right questions, not once going off topic.

And Michael seemed so satisfied, which is always good.

I heard my phone ringing from the study, where I left it after our little moment from before the interview.

Quickly, I found the phone on my husband's desk and saw the letter 'J'.

What could he possibly need right now?

"Hi, Jake." I sighed, looking at the mess we left on the desk.

Maybe I should clean up a little.

"Angela," his voice was stern. "Are you free to talk?"

"Sure. What's up?"

I picked up the few picture frames that got knocked down, then tidied the pen holder, along with some papers Michael had lying around.

Jake scoffed loudly, "I just saw the interview..."

He continued speaking but I wasn't listening anymore. One specific sticky note caught my eye.

On the top, in Michael's handwriting, it said, 'New Album? 2010?'

Underneath it he wrote: 'Album = tour. Can't tour, need to stay healthy for my family.'

I literally felt my heart sink.

Is he planning an entire comeback and never told me about it?

"Angela?" Jake's sounded annoyed. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Sorry, what?" I put the sticky note down.

"Seriously?"

"What were you saying, Jake? I'm sorry, I got distracted."

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it wasn't more important than Lily and Eric. What the hell were you thinking, exposing their faces to the world like that?! I never agreed to this! I can't believe you of all people would agree to this! Our kids' privacy is now gone forever, you do know that, right?"

I was surprised, to say the least. "Jake, what-"

"No, you listen to me, Angela. I understand you and Michael raised them for the past five years, and I couldn't be more grateful. But they're kids, for God's sake! Only 11 years old!" he was yelling. "The whole world knows what they look like now, what the fuck were you thinking?! You don't get to make those kinds of choices for my kids."

Jake took in a deep breath, "And you know what? You might be their mom, but Michael is not their dad. He can make decisions for his kids, but Lily and Eric are mine, do you understand that? His kids can grow up that way, being chased down by reporters and paparazzi-"

His words were cut off by a different voice from his side.

"Parker, calm down. I can hear you from down the hall."

"I'll be quiet, okay? I'm in the middle of something."

"Give me your phone, now. Or I'm telling Bailey," the other guy said. Jake sighed and I heard rustling before his friend spoke. "Angela? Hi, this is Martinez, I'm Parker's roommate. He's really sorry about it all-"

"No, I'm not. Those are my kids, Angela!"

Martinez scoffed. "Ignore him. He'll call you in a few days when he's calmer."