Chapter 30 - Care Enough To Bear Me

26th of January, 2009
Michael is 50, Angela is 44, and Jake is 46

Angela: Michael's eyes followed my every move as I sat down on the toilet, to pee on the too familiar stick.

He was biting his bottom lip nervously, making me stress out.

"Mike," I sighed. "I can't do it when you stare at me. Can you leave for a sec? Please."

When I didn't get my period three weeks ago, we both freaked out because of what happened on Christmas. Well, I did. Michael seemed fine with the whole thing.

I told him we should wait for a month after the incident to check because no at-home pregnancy test will show results after only a week.

So, three full glasses of water later, there I was, trying to find out if I was pregnant or not. My bladder was killing me but nothing came out.

"Yeah, sorry. I'll go call Bain to see if there was any progress with the auditions..." my husband said and left.

Once he was gone, I could finally pee. When I finished, I placed the test on the counter before washing my hands.

"All done?" Michael peeked his head into the master bathroom.

Nodding, I leaned to sit against the counter. He stepped inside and did the same.

"This is stupid," I said. "I'm pregnant, I have to be. My period is never late like this. We should just go see Dr. Holden."

"You're stressing yourself out, Angie. It's better to know." he got up to stand in between my legs.

But his words weren't calming, I was still a wreck inside. I hated this feeling, and to top it all off, I felt like I was disappointing him by wanting to get an abortion.

Although he reassured me over and over again that he wasn't.

Michael rubbed my thighs, his body pressed against mine. "Hey, what's going on? We talked about this, babe. We're not risking it."

"I know."

"Then what's that face all about?"

I shrugged, looking at the clock on the wall. Two more minutes.

"Talk to me, Angela." my husband urged, his big hands still trying to soothe me by rubbing my thighs.

It really wasn't helping the situation, all it did was make me horny. Damn it, there's no way I'm not pregnant.

"You say you won't be disappointed, Mike," I looked down. "But I'm the one who has to live with it later... I already went through this once, and I felt so guilty."

I shivered at the memory of myself in Dr. Haring's office, when I decided to get an abortion last time. Thank God he didn't go through with it.

"You can't be pregnant again, Ange. You almost died giving birth to Leo." Michael whispered.

"I know..."

"Then stop feeling guilty. I'm not disappointed, I promise. This was my fault, anyways."

He put a finger under my chin and made me look at him, then leaned down to kiss me. "You ready?"

My husband reached for the pink stick. His eyes started to water when he checked.

I knew it.

"Two lines." he showed it to me.

"Shit, Mike..." I covered my face with my hands, the guilt settling in.

"I'm gonna call Dr. Holden, alright? We'll go see him tomorrow." he said, taking out his phone.