Chapter 39 - Aftershow

22nd of July, 2009
Michael is 50, Angela is 45, and Jake is 46

Michael: The clock on the wall read 1:30.

I paced back and forth, waiting for someone to come tell me what was going on with Angela.

We got to The Royal London hospital about two hours ago, and they immediately rushed her to the ICU.

"Sir?" Adam knocked on the hospital room door. "Your in-laws are here, and your parents. They want to know what's going on..."

"Didn't I tell you to leave me alone unless there's news about my wife?" I stopped pacing for a second.

"There's a doctor here, too."

Immediately, I yanked the door open. "You should've led with that, Adam."

"Mr. Jackson? Hello, how are you?" a doctor came in, his British accent sounding less posh than I was used to.

He shook my hand quickly, "I'm Dr. Lee from intensive care, very nice to meet you... Your wife, she's okay. She lost a lot of blood, we got that under control. We have some news, but we'll wait for her to wake up... We'll bring her here soon."

News?

"And the baby?" I asked nervously.

"Uh- A baby? I'm sorry, sir, but I don't believe I understand." he answered.

"She's pregnant..."

"There were no indications of a pregnancy, Mr. Jackson."

What? How? I saw the tests... She looked pregnant...

I blinked. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. There will be a doctor from gynecology coming as soon as Mrs. Jackson wakes up, to explain." he said.

I thanked him, then he left.

"Sir, the family? What should I say?" Adam sighed.

"That when we know what's really going on, I'll tell them." I mumbled.

He nodded, "And you, Mr. Jackson? Are you okay? You were in shock before."

"I'm fine."

"Can I get you anything?"

"Just water."

The bodyguard left quickly. Finally, I broke down, still not knowing what was wrong with my wife.

~

When two nurses rolled Angela's bed in, she looked lifeless.

They made sure she was comfortable, and explained she should wake up soon. Blood was running into her arm, while her heart monitor beeped steadily.

"Gosh, Angie, what happened to you?" I sat down, taking her hand.

I brought it up to my lips to kiss it gently. My phone rang, so I pulled it out, never letting go of my wife's hand.

"Yes, Bain? Is it urgent? I'm busy-" I started, but she cut me off.

"I know. How's Angela?"

"Hanging in there. What is it?"

"Um... I-" she stopped herself.

"Talk, Bain. I don't have time for this." I groaned.

"There are pictures... Of Angela, on the gurney."

"How?! There weren't any cameras!"

"Some people took pictures of her on their phones. It got to the media pretty quickly."