Chapter 18 - Promises & Frustrations

7th of August, 2008
Michael is 49, Angela is 44, and Jake is 45

Angela: I woke up that morning with my head pounding. Glancing outside, it was still a little dark.

I decided to get up and take shower to wash the previous day away.

All I could think about was Jake. It's like he was now imprinted in my mind. I was so frustrated I could scream.

Michael and I were doing so well, our relationship was finally getting somewhere again and then Jake comes back from the dead. Was the universe trying to tell me something?

No, Angela. You love Michael. Do you even hear yourself?

"Fuck!" I screamed, hitting the shower wall with my fists. Tears streamed down my face. What am I gonna do?

"Angela?" Michael's groggy voice came from outside the door. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be right out." I said.

"Would you like some coffee?"

"Please."

He said he was going to wait for me in the kitchen once I was ready.

I took in a shaky breath before deciding to finish up.

~

"There you are," Michael smiled when he saw me. "How are you feeling?"

I tried to avoid his worried eyes because I knew that if I'd just glance into them, I wouldn't be able to hold it in anymore and tell him everything.

I shrugged, taking the coffee cup he offered. "My head hurts."

He put his palm against my forehead,
"You don't feel warm. That's a good sign."

"I guess..."

"So," my husband took a seat on one of the island stools. "What do you wanna do today?"

"I really don't know, Mike. I don't feel too well." I sighed.

"How about I make us a delicious breakfast?"

"That sounds great."

Michael got up and came closer to me. He gently pulled me into his arms by my hips and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Go ahead and take a seat, alright? I don't want you to do too much today."

"Thank you, Michael," I looked down so I would have to look in his eyes. "You're too good to me."

He put a finger under my chin, making me look at him, "I think it's the other way around."

Just that split second, that slight look into his eyes made me weak. Tears welled up in my eyes. I have to tell him.

"Michael, there's something I need to-"

But I was cut off by his ringing phone. I sighed in relief when he reached a hand into his to answer it.

"Oh, it's the kids," my husband grinned and pressed the green button. "Hello?"

I could hear a high-pitched voice saying 'daddy' in delight.

"Yeah, your mom's here, hold on. Angela, the kids want to talk to you."

He handed me the phone and I instantly heard Blanket's voice. "Mommy! I miss you..."

"Baby, I miss you too. Is everything okay back home?" I asked him.

"Yeah, we're having fun. But I want you to come back home!"

"We will, soon," I smiled slightly. "Are Lily and Eric there? I- I need to talk to them."