28

Thank you for commenting on the last chapter 💖

_ThatSweaterGirl_
ij0786
nikitha_143
karishmita
rohirat_addicted
sassy_reads
Preciousprincess_05

There was a sudden decrease in the comments last chapter, was it not good?
.
.

By the time I was done with the final practice and went back to my room, it was fully covered with smoke.

'Ro are you alright?' I yelled from the outside and upon hearing no response from him, I walked in.

'What are you doing?' my eyes began burning due to the smoke while the smoke turned out to be from the incense sticks that Ro had lit up.

He was praying and I wondered how he didn't cough at all.

'Rohit, I'm -' he signalled me to stop with his hand without opening his eyes.

I opened the windows and switched on the fan to let the smoke leave the room and he was finally done praying.

'Who the hell lights twenty incense sticks?' I asked him.

'They are only thirteen.' he replied as a matter of fact.

'Whatever. Why did you light so many?' I asked.

'Because the first time I lit so many unknowingly, my wish turned out to be true. Since then, it has become a ritual and it works every time for me.' he answered vaguely without telling what he wished for and began limping towards his bed.

I placed his arm around my shoulder and mine around him and helped him.

I took a bath and left to the ground again where a few tactics were discussed before we got into the bus towards the match ground.

It felt strange to be there without him, maybe a bit lonely too.

.
.

Mahi bhai won the toss and elected to bowl first. Rp paaji was handed the ball first while Gilchrist and Hayden have come to bat.

With just one wide and one boundary, they managed to score just five runs from the first over.

Sreesanth had come to bowl the second over and conceded two back to back sixes to Hayden, who in turn mocked Sreesanth about something.

I couldn't hear it as I was positioned far from them but Mahi Bhai interfered and backed his bowler who returned the favour in the very next ball in form of Hayden's wicket.

They kept hitting boundaries and sixes once a while and we managed to take wickets at a decent frequency as well.

I pleaded Bhai to let me bowl for four times and he refused it all the times saying he'll give me ten overs in our intra squad match.

But how will I dismiss ponting and Gilchrist in the intra squad match?

Till I donned the National Jersey, Gilchrist was an inspiration and I'd watch his shots on replay mode. But being on the same field with him and representing my country had changed it completely. Now I want him to get out as soon as possible.

After sixteen overs they were 176-3 with Gilchrist still on the crease with a score of 82*.

Jogindar Bhai was bowling and in the second ball he bowled a low full toss and Gilchrist swatted it for four on the leg side.

'Not a very clever bowling by your team.' he turned back and told Mahi Bhai.

'We'll see about your team's bowling in a while.' Mahi Bhai stated.

'Do you think your helicopter shot would work always? That's a class apart.' Gilchrist wasn't letting it go.

'We'll let the score decide about it.' Mahi Bhai replied, maintaining his cool, While my fists pumped up as I tried to maintain mine.

No one is allowed to sledge my Mahi Bhai.

'Look your team is gonna lose today for sure.' Gilchrist stated and before I knew I began walking towards them.

The umpires were checking the ball, giving me time to deal with him.

'What did you say? Your accent is not understandable at all.' Gilchrist tried provoking Mahi Bhai further.

'Well he's gonna let his bat talk. Your brain would be too numb to understand even then, Mr. Gilchrist.' I glared at him.

'Cheeku, don't bother to argue. Sledging is very common in cricket.' Mahi Bhai told me.

'Ah cheeku trying to get cheeky.'

'But no one gets to talk that way to you bhai.' I told him.

In response he just chuckled and ruffled my hair before asking me to take my fielding position.

Australia ended up scoring 202-5 by the end of their innings.
Shewag Bhai and Sachin paaji were the openers from my team and I was asked to bat at No. 6.

By the time I went to bat , 136 had been scored with a special 50 from yuvi pa.

Mahi bhai was at the crease when I went to bat. "Dhoni" "Dhoni" the chants from the crowd echoed in my ears and gave me goosebumps.

'Don't get intimidated by the crowd.' he told me as if he could read my mind.

'Sure Bhai, all the best.' and then began our partnership. By the end of nineteen overs he scored 30 runs in 15 balls while I scored 46 runs 24 balls and we needed to score just five runs in the last over.

Mahi bhai was at strike and was bowled a low full toss. I waited in  anticipation to see him finish the match but instead of whipping it away into the crowd, he hit it towards deep mid wicket for a single.

I was at strike with five balls in hand, four runs to win the game for my country as well as to score a half century on my debut.

I was bowled a full length delivery which I hit to the boundary through mid wicket.

And the crowd erupted in cheers.  Our dugout was filled with happy faces. I won the game for my country.

And the usual over expressive me stood there like a statue, still soaking in the moment.

'Congratulations cheeku, I'm very proud of you.' Mahi Bhai hugged me.

And those words from him felt like winning the world cup for me. 

And in that moment looking at the happy faces of the audience and my teammates I've decided something - I'm gonna give it all that I have to keep them happy, to make them proud. 

.
.

Hope this chapter was worth your time✨

Do vote and comment if you liked this chapter.

See y'all soon.

Stay safe and happy 💖