Chapter 12 : Exchange Of Rings

Goenka Villa was glinting with lightning the next evening. And why wouldn't it ? After all it was the engagement ceremony of the elder granddaughter of Manish Goenka. Guests had started to arrive now and the family was awaiting the Birlas.

The Birlas, on the other hand, were absolutely ready to leave. Manjiri had double checked the sweets and gift hampers she was taking for the Goenkas and her would-be daughter-in-law. But they were not leaving because the most important person was nowhere to be seen.

Abhimanyu.

“Manjiri where is he ?” - Anand asked, looking at the time.

“I don't know Bhaisaab. He didn't tell me anything. I didn't even know till now that he isn't home.” - Manjiri replied, anxious.

Harshwardan snorted.

“Maybe his brain has started working and he has decided to call off the engagement ?” - Harshwardan guessed hopefully.

Before anyone could say anything, Manjiri's phone rang.

Abhi.

“Abhi where are you ?” - she asked worriedly.

“Arreyy Maa, an important work came up. That's why I have called to tell you that you guys go ahead, I'll join you there directly.” - came his happy voice and Manjiri sighed in relief.

“Okay. But come soon!” - she ordered before disconnecting the call.

“Let's not waist time then. He'll join us soon.” - Anand said and they all left for the ceremony.

~

Dressed up in a navy blue suit, Abhimanyu was standing outside of Goenka Villa. Having enough practice from the future, he easily sneaked inside the house and stopped below Akshara's window. As expected, he found a ladder in the garden. He dragged it towards his desired place and climbed on it. Safely landing on her balcony, he walked towards the closed window. He had just raised his hand to knock when he heard :

“Are you sure it's looking nice ? I mean, should I curl these by the ends ?”

An automatic smile came on his face at Akshu's fussiness.

“No Akshu. Leave them straight. They'll go along with your dress perfectly.” - said Badi Mumma in a comforting voice. “Now get changed. The Birlas called and informed that they have left from home.”

He heard Akshu gasp and bit his lip to prevent the chuckle from escaping. Badi Mumma left the room, leaving Akshu to change. He waited for a while, giving her privacy.

“Oh God this zip!” - he heard her frustrated groan.

Biting his lip, he skipped the knocking part and opened the window, which to his luck, wasn't locked. She was standing infront of the mirror, her back to him, while having a war with the zipper of her dress. He cleared his throat, making her gasp and turn around.

His breathing hitched.

She was wearing a floor length midnight blue skirt and a matching, off-shoulder blouse. Her hair were sleek straight and open. She was looking so fairylike that for a second he thought he was dreaming.

“Abhi...” - she said nervously, her hands still behind her, trying to zip up her blouse.

He walked towards her, making her take a step back but the dresser behind stopped her. He stood infront of her while she stared at him, unblinking. Unmoving.

“Let me help.” - he said softly.

He leaned closer, causing their clothes to touch. He gathered her hair and placed on a shoulder before leaning further to look at the zipper. She shivered when his hot breath hit her neck and her eyes closed as his hands came in contact with her bare skin. Her hands dropped down. She felt like he was snatching all the energy from her body. Like she was losing control. Plus, standing so close to him had it cons. The aphrodisiac fragrance oozing off him for example ? It was provoking her to do something irrational and the way she had next to nothing control over herself infront of him, she feared she would do so.