Chapter 20 : The (well deserved) First Night

“A cocktail party and a cake cutting ceremony is awaiting the couple.” - Harshwardan announced after Abhimanyu and Akshara finished taking blessings from everyone. “There is a joint conference of investors and medical practitioners, who want to meet Abhimanyu as he is the face of Birla hospital.”

Abhimanyu smirked.

Flashback starts.

“Abhimanyu... you here. Do you need something ?” - Kairav asked when Abhimanyu came to the Goenkas after the Haldi ceremony.

“No no. I don't need anything. Just came to talk to you all.” - he said, his eyes stopping at Manish. “You all are doing your very best and taking care of everyone's mood and choices. So I don't want any of you hurt or upset because of my family.”

Manish frowned. “I didn't understand son...”

“Bade Papa, you would have guessed by now my father's nature. I'm sure he must have arranged some kind of attention gaining event for the wedding and hasn't informed you all.” - Abhimanyu said with a sad smile. “So if there's any such event, I am already inviting you all in it as you are my family now.”

Manish's eyes softened at the honesty in his eyes and he placed his hands on both his shoulders.

“I am so proud and happy that Akshu is marrying you.” - Manish said smiling brightly at him. “And don't worry about anything else, you enjoy your wedding.”

Abhimanyu hugged Bade Papa tightly before leaving.

Flashback ends.

“Ah yes. Our son-in-law had invited us beforehand.” - Manish said cheerfully.

Harshwardan, Anand and Mahima frowned as they had not told anyone about it yet and looked at Abhimanyu in askance.

“Knowing you well, I was sure there must be something of sorts to keep up the PR.” - Abhimanyu explained, smiling sweetly — sickly sweetly — at his father.

Harshwardan had the decency to look abashed. He cleared his throat before addressing the Goenkas.

“Let's go then. We are a family now after all.” - it looked like saying that took all of Harshwardan's energy and he would need an energy boosting drink afterwards.

They all proceeded inside where Abhimanyu and Akshara cut their wedding cake among loud cheers and applause of the guests. He fed the first bite to Akshara earning himself teasing whistles from Parth and Neil. Mr. Bijoria came with a large bouquet in hands and congratulated them.

“Thank you so much Sir. It's really an honour that you took time out to attend our wedding.” - Abhimanyu said smilingly.

“Oh the pleasure's all mine.” - Mr. Bijoria said. “Shall we proceed with the conference ? The media is awaiting you both.” - he told them with a wide smile.

Harshwardan was smiling from ear to ear but Abhimanyu noticed his aunt and uncle's expressions that didn't sit well with him.

“Ya sure. Then we have to head back home.” - he said and grabbing Akshara's hand, moved to the room where the media was waiting.

The cameras started capturing photos blindingly before Mr. Bijoria asked them to calm down.

“Dr. Birla, first of all a hearty congratulations to you and your Mrs. Wish you a life full of happiness and prosperity.” - a reporter started making them smile.

“Thank you so much.” - they replied in unison.

“On this auspicious occasion, I think this is the perfect time to announce, that Birla Hospital is opening a music therapy department!” - Mr. Bijoria announced, gaining a huge applause.