Chapter 29 : Everything's Fine Now (?)

Akshara was pacing outside the emergency at Birla Hospital. The Goenkas and Birlas were seated on the waiting chairs but she couldn't convince herself to follow suit. Arohi and Abhimanyu were in two separate rooms, undergoing check-up and her heart was pounding in her chest. She knew Arohi was just drunk and would probably be suffering from the suddenness of the situation. But Abhi...

Something clutched at her heart sharply. The way he had looked at her before fainting would haunt her forever. She had never seen him like that. His eyes were so panicked and he looked so scared, like someone had told him he was going to die. Truth be told, the instant he had fell forward on her unconscious, her heart had dropped into a hollow space, fearing something had happened to him.

She never wanted to feel that way ever again.

The doors to both rooms, coincidentally, opened at the same time and doctors stepped out. Her feet, on it's own, walked her to the doctor from Abhi's room.

“He is fine!” - the doctor declared immediately, raising an assuring hand as he noticed her on-the-brink-of-a-panic-attack state.

“But... why did he faint then ?” - she asked worriedly.

“Intense emotional stress. His blood pressure rose and dangerously dropped in a matter of seconds. Hence, he passed out.” - the doctor explained in his calm, practiced composure.

But for Akshara, it was the exact opposite. A storm whirled inside her. What had him SO stressed in that moment ? What was the cause of that sheer panic and dread she had witnessed in those beautiful eyes ? She wanted to know in order to take his pain away!

Pain... she suddenly remembered...

“And his hand ? I told you he had cried in pain...” - she asked the doctor earnestly.

“We have performed a thorough CT scan and will let you know about the results as soon as they'll come.” - the doctor told her politely.

“Can I meet him ?” - she knew she might be annoying the doctor with her rampage of questions but she was helpless.

But the doctor smiled in kind. “He is still unconscious but yes, you can see him.”

Her feet had already moved at 'yes' and by now, she was standing inside the room, infront of the bed, staring transfixed at Abhimanyu. She went to sit beside him and held his hand with one hand while caressed his head with the other. Tears were flowing down her cheeks but she made no effort to stop or wipe them. She was lost in the rise and fall of his chest. How beautiful that movement was ? She felt like she could stare at it the rest of her life. Feeling peace and contentment.

She felt her eyes drooping. It was already post midnight and the happenings of the past hour were finally washing over her. A hand on her shoulder made her look up and she found her mother-in-law smiling softly at her.

“Go home.” - Manjiri said but she shook her head defiantly. “Akshara, the doctor stated your condition is not any better after he observed your behaviour. Watching your sister and husband in trouble at once must have taken a toll on you.” - she tried to coax Akshara.

“But Abhi needs me!” - Akshara said stubbornly.

Manjiri's smile softened further. “Exactly. Abhi needs you and for that, you need to be fit and fine.”

Akshara closed her mouth. Having no retort for that.

“Go home and rest. The doctors are keeping Abhi overnight for observation so you can easily return in the morning.” - Manjiri gently instructed and Akshara finally acquiesced.

She stood up and bent to place a tender kiss on Abhi's forehead. “Sleep well.” - she whispered, her fingers lightly grazing his cheek, before straightening up.