Chapter 33 : Womanly Instincts

Akshara was pacing in the corridor outside Abhi's cabin in Birla Hospital. Inside, Dr. Kunal was performing some tests on Abhi's hand which had her restless. But there was another thing that was bothering her quite deeply.

Dr. Kunal's refusal to charge fee for the surgery.

She absently played with the nuptial chain in her neck while contemplating the doctor's words. He had said that he was not doing anything FOR THEM. It was for his OWN PEACE. While the words did seem normal and said out of compassion, but she was unable to brush off the LOOK in his eyes while saying that.

It had guilt mixed with passion.

She couldn't fathom guilty at what ? And passion for ? A doctor, who had left his profession for years now, who had sworn to not even step inside the hospital, was suddenly passionate for what ?

Now when she thought back, he had shocked her by readily agreeing to performing Abhi's surgery when she had narrated the entire issue to him. She had been preparing several speeches and debates in her head for days to convince the doctor upon meeting but he had rendered her speechless by instantly saying yes. It was not like she was being paranoid or something but the doctor's demeanor did gave mysterious vibes. Like he was another person under that skin. Like he had some ulterior motives behind all that.

She knew she shouldn't be thinking like that about him. For all she knew, he might just be a very kind person, wanting to help another doctor. But it were her womanly instincts that stood their ground. Not budging from their suspicion at all.

And a woman was nothing if not intuitive.

The door to the cabin clicked open, breaking her chain of thoughts, and she turned to see Anand and Harshwardan entering the cabin. She hurried to follow as well. It seemed the tests had been done because Abhi was wearing his shirt over the tee again. They all took their seats before she spoke.

“Can I ask you some questions ?”

She was adressed to Kunal who nodded his head.

“How much is his hand nerve damage according to you ?”

Abhimanyu's eyes widened. This was the question HE had asked last time, but since he already knew this time around, he decided to skip.

“About 70%.” - Kunal replied.

She became tensed. “And how much are the chances that his hand will recover ?” - she asked with bated breath.

Anand and Harshwardan looked at the doctor with hopeful expressions as well. While Abhimanyu didn't hold his breath because he knew the answer.

“99%.” - Kunal answered.

A smile so bright came over her face that was enough to lit up an arena. Her hand found his, squeezing supportively, even before she herself turned to him. Her eyes shining.

“99% my hard work and effort, 1% is your luck.” - Kunal elaborated further.

Anand and Harshwardan smiled at each other, sighing in relief and Abhimanyu smiled as well. Although, he didn't know how he should actually feel about it. Glad ? That his hand will be cured. Or Scared ? That he was rapidly nearing his surgery and then...

“...any stress. Just stay calm and happy.” - Kunal adviced and he belatedly realized the doctor was talking to him.

He smiled standing up and shook hands with Kunal. “Thank you so much doctor.”

“The pleasure is all mine.” - Kunal replied, his eyes holding that strange passion again, which dimmed Akshara's smile.

No. It was definitely not her paranoia. Something was definitely off with him.