Chapter 35 : True Love Never Gives Up

After a three hour long surgery, Kunal stepped out of the OT and both families rushed to him, their expressions a mixture of hope and dread.

“The surgery was successful. His hand is absolutely fine now.” - he announced, looking straight at Akshara.

The family broke into cheers, Manjiri and Mimi, weeping in relief. While Akshara felt a tranquility wash over her. She was feeling so many emotions all at once that was unable to express any.

“He is being shifted to the recovery room. The anesthesia was quite heavy so I guess, it'll take 2-3 hours for him to gain consciousness.” - he informed them. “Mrs. Abhimanyu, a word please.” - he adressed her and without waiting for a response, turned and started walking towards Abhi's cabin.

She shared a look with her family, Neil in particular who blinked his eyes in assurance, before following the doctor into the cabin.

“I have fulfilled my promise Akshara. Now it's your turn.” - he said as soon as she walked in. “This is the perfect time for you to leave. Everybody is busy regarding Abhimanyu so no one will notice you gone. I have arranged everything. A taxi must be waiting for you outside which will take you straight to the airport. Our flight will take off in a couple of hours. Wait there, I'll join you shortly.” - he instructed.

She didn't react. Just leaned against the wall while checking her nails. As if, she didn't hear anything.

“Akshara I'm talking to you! You promised-”

A knock on the door interrupted him. He spared her a suspicious look but she was busy inspecting her nails.

“Yes ?”

The door swung open as Neil stepped inside followed by... a number of police officers. And behind them, was her family.

“Dr. Kunal Khera ?” - the man, who looked to be the chief, confirmed looking at him. His face stern.

“Yes...” - Kunal replied, his brows creasing.

“You are under arrest.” - the chief said while signing two officers to proceed with the cuffs.

Kunal's eyes widened and he panicked. Protesting.

“What are you talking about ? What have I done ?” - he asked.

“You have framed an innocent and respectable family that's what you've done!” - the chief snapped, glaring at Kunal with disgust.

“That's a lie! I haven't done any such thing!” - Kunal denied, backing off as the men forwarded with the cuffs again.

“Lie ?! Mrs. Akshara Abhimanyu Birla has filed a complain against you for framing her! And we have proof!” - the chief looked barely holding himself from manhandling Kunal and Akshara was silently rooting for such a scene.

Kunal's head snapped to her in shock. He gave her a betrayed look like she had been living off selling his blood all her life.

“That's an accusation! She is trying to frame me!” - Kunal shouted, advancing towards her but the policemen held him back.

“So you're denying you didn't demand 50 lacs for the surgery of her husband just moments before the surgery ? Threatening her to agree or you'll back off ?”

Kunal's jaw dropped and he looked at Akshara again.

Her lips slowly, silkily, curved into a smile that was more evil than all the villains of Hollywood combined. Thankfully she was standing with her family, behind the police, so they didn't notice.

“I have done NO SUCH THING!” - he shouted and the chief smirked.

“Like I said, I have proof.” - the chief said and held out his hand infront of a constable who placed a paper in it. “See this. Your bank account statement. 50 lacs were transferred to your account just two hours ago! Exactly one hour into the surgery! Quite a coincidence don't you think ?” - the chief asked sarcastically.