Chapter 16 : Shade Of Your Love

The Birlas arrived at Goenka Villa sharp at 6 in the evening and were warmly welcomed by the The Goenkas. The theme for Mehendi was decided all green. Ladies in dark green velvet sarees whereas the men in green sherwanis.

“The decor is lovely!” - Manjiri complimented, making Swarna smile.

It indeed was. The house was adorned with fairy lights, flowers, and globes hanging from the ceiling. In the hall, a special cot, that was also adorned by a velvet green carpet, was placed in the middle where Akshara would sit and the henna artist will apply mehendi to her. The curtains of the hall were also changed to dark green, complimenting the theme as well.

“I am glad you liked it. Please have a seat.” - Swarna ushered them to the sofas.

“Where's my would-be daughter-in-law ? I'm dying to see her ?” - Manjiri asked and Abhimanyu felt like kissing his mother's feet.

“She was just finishing getting ready. I'll bring her down.” - Swarna said excusing herself.

~

Akshara had just finished pinning up her dupatta when she heard cheerful voices coming from downstairs and her heartrate doubled.

“Abhi is here...” - she whispered to herself.

Eager to see him, she ran out of her room and hid behind a pillar. Making sure nobody saw her, she peeked down and her brain short-circuited.

There he was. Standing with Kairav and Vansh. Wearing a dark green kurta pajama with a classy green, embroidered coat over it. His hair were jel free. She knew so because light fringes on his forehead were lightly blowing due to the fan. Kairav said something on which his head fell back and he laughed heartily.

She turned back and leaned against the pillar. Her heart was too weak for all this and he was having no mercy at all.

A throat being cleared caused her eyes to open and she found Badi Mumma standing infront of her, arms crossed and smiling teasingly.

Her face flushed.

“He is equally restless.” - Badi Mumma said adding to her blush and chuckled. “Come on now. Everyone's waiting for you.”

Badi Mumma gently placed an arm around her shoulders and led her down.

~

Abhimanyu was talking to Kairav but he stopped mid-sentence as his heart started beating faster.

‘Akshu.’ - he thought and turned around, only for his breath to catch in his throat.

Akshara looked like she was gliding down the stairs. Dressed up in a dark green, peacock inspired lehenga. Her dupatta was drapped on her right shoulder and arm. She was wearing a beautiful head piece as well that enhanced her beauty but it was the smile with which she looked at him that he was disarmed.

She took blessings from the elders but Manjiri hugged her as well and took bad sight off her.

“My daughter is looking so beautiful.” - Manjiri praised while making Akshara sit on the cot.

Shefali took Abhimanyu towards Akshara and made him sit beside her.

“So perfect together!” - Mimi cooed, taking off bad sight from them.

Akshara was barely breathing. Abhimanyu's heated stare had already unnerved her and now, her arm was brushing against his. And despite the layer of his sleeve, she felt her skin burning.

“Shall we start the ritual now ?” - Swarna asked the Birlas who nodded in affirmation.

Arohi stepped forward and applied the shagun mehendi to Akshara. Abhimanyu ignored her like she wasn't there at all.