Chapter 3

TW; SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, SWEARING

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone get him out of here...

Scaramouche felt like banging his head on his desk. There was a extremely annoying headache burrowed into the back of his head as though it had made a new home there that it refused to leave. What made matters worse was how his homeroom class would seriously not shut up. Like it was 7 in the fucking morning and they were already talking about their plans for tonight and the latest gossip of whatever goes on around here. 

"Alright, class, please settle down so I can start taking attendance." Mr. Zhongli called out over the din as he entered the classroom.

Slowly, the noise faded away, leaving the classroom into blissful silence Scaramouche was so thankful for. He rested his head down on his desk, staring out at the window, completely zoning out while Mr. Zhongli's voice echoed in the background, calling out the names.

"Mr. Raiden? Mr. Raiden, are you here? Mr. Raiden!"

"Oi, Scara...!" A voice whispered, as an someone shook him.

"Huh? Oh yeah, here." Scaramouche replied, before putting his head down again. "Thanks, Mona."

Mona, his cousin, just let out a small sound indicating her annoyance at him. The two had known each other their entire childhood. Mona had no idea what went on in Scaramouche's house or why he changed his name from 'Kunikuzushi' to 'Scaramouche' but she didn't question him or anything. Just went along with it, to which Scaramouche was extremely thankful. At least one person didn't treat him like some easily damaged object that needed to be handled with care. That irritated him, greatly. Unfortunately, this was the treatment he got from a lot of teachers in this stupid school. Like, please, leave him alone...

"Hey, get up, you have to get to class." Mona snapped, bringing him back to the classroom and out of his thoughts. " You have math, right? Don't try to skip again. You're going to fail at this rate."

"Yeah, Yeah..."

He skipped math. 

Instead of heading to the math classroom, Scaramouche just made his way up to the rooftop. It was the only place he could find peace in this hell. It felt nice and had this feeling of freedom that Scaramouche couldn't quite explain. It was as if he was so high above the world that all his problems couldn't reach him anymore and he as just burden-less with nothing to think about. 

It was just an awesome location to go read. 

When Scaramouche walked through the tall metal doors on to the roof, he didn't go directly to his favorite spot to sit. Something just pulled his legs directly to the edge where the tall railings were. He grabbed the rails with one hand, letting his fingers slip through the holes as he looked down at the ground. He was about five floors above the ground. What if he just jumped now? Climbed the railings and jump? What would happen? Would it be quick? Will he quickly be free of his problems? Or will it be slow and painful? Will he still suffer for some time even after he reaches the ground? Did he suffer...?

"What are you doing?" A voice from behind him asked.

Scaramouche jumped, his body shaking with fear. Had someone been here all along? But no on ever came here... Had a teacher found him? Shit. He was going to be in so much trouble... He nervously turned to meet his doom but the person behind was just Kazuha. 

"Huh?" Scaramouche let out a confused noise while stifling a sigh of relief.

"I asked what you're doing here? First years in high school don't really get free lessons." Kazuha said. "Well?" He leaned forward, shortening the distance between them.

"Uh... Well..." Scaramouche was a nervous wreck. He couldn't think straight nor say a single straight word. All he could do was focus on how close Kazuha was to him, and it didn't even help that Kazuha was slightly bending, meaning their eyes were at the same level and their lips too...

Wait, why would he think of that?! Without warning, Scaramouche's face turned red as he looked down at their feet. 

"Oh, is someone skipping class?" Kazuha said, with a small smirk.

"Wait-! I..." Scaramouche couldn't say anything to contradict that statement. After all, it was true...

"Relax, I won't report you to a teacher." Kazuha laughed. "After all, I'm skipping class myself."

"Wait, really?" Scaramouche said, surprised. Kazuha didn't really seem the type to skip classes. He just seemed like you classic senior with a pretty face that all the underclassmen girls simp over and a teacher's favorite with excellent grades and all that shit.

"Yeah, I hate Geography. Probably the most boring subject to exist." Kazuha muttered, expression souring over the mention of Geography before brightening up again. "What are you skipping?"

"Maths." 

"Oh, did you get Mr. Diluc? He's so boring, I swear." Kazuha laughed. "It's hard to believe a large bundle of energy like Venti is related to him..."

"Wait, Venti's related to Mr. Diluc?!" Scaramouche exclaimed, shocked at this. They didn't look a bit alike! No one could tell they were related!

"I know right?" Kazuha said. " Apparently Diluc is married to Venti's aunt which makes them uncle and nephew... Though it might be father and son now since Venti got adopted by the Ragvindrs due to some incident he refuses to talk about..."

"Who's his aunt?" Scaramouche asked. His aunt was bound to be similar to him, right?

"Headmistress Jean." Kazuha answered.

"WHAT?! HE'S THE NEPHWE OR SON OF OUR PRINCIPLE?!" Scaramouche shouted in surprised disbelief. How could that even be possible?! Is Venti that one odd one born in every family generation or what?!

"Oi, keep your voice down..." Kazuha shushed him. "Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself when I first found out but the more I hung out at his house and saw the family, it became easier to believe. Venti and Headmistress Jean both share the same helpful and kind personality and can be serious when needed."

"Huh, didn't know he had it in him..." Scaramouche mumbled. 

"You just need to get to know him better. Hey, I know!" Kazuha suddenly exclaimed as though a brilliant idea just struck him. "Why don't you hang out with us tonight? It's a little gathering at Xiao's house, just the 4 of us but with you it'd be more fun! I promise no alcohol or illegal trouble-making!"

"I can't, I have to take care of my little sister..." Scaramouche said, rejecting the invite. There was no way he could leave Shoko alone and he doubt she'd fare well in a teenagers party.

"Oh, that's alright. How old is she?"

"10 years."

"Oh, than she can just hang out with Klee!" Kazuha said.

"Who?"

"Klee. She's Venti's younger sister and she's also 10 so Shoko can make a new friend." Kazuha said, flashing a beautiful smile.

Scaramouche didn't really like parties and still wanted to refuse but that smile of Kazuha's... He didn't want to be the one to make it go away. He wanted to keep that smile on his face and see more of it, as much as he could, though he didn't get why. There was just this weird feeling in his heart and it kept urging him to say yes.

"Alright, fine."