Chapter 48

Scaramouche hasn't been coming to school.

It's been a few days since Kazuha last saw Scaramouche after leaving him with that beast and ever since, he's been freaking out. He couldn't sleep properly nor focus on anything. He's been spending days doing nothing but worrying about what could have happened to Scaramouche and why he hasn't contacted any of them lately.

"Oi, Kazuha, are you listening?" Xiao asked, snapping his fingers in front of Kazuha who was just staring at his food, lost in his thoughts of the most terrible but possible scenarios of Scaramouche's current situation.

"Huh? Oh, sorry, what were you saying?" Kazuha asked, looking up.

"I was saying that dad was questioning me today morning about Scaramouche. He's concerned as to why the kid hasn't showed up at school lately. I told him I didn't know and I'd ask you about it. So, you know anything about it?" Xiao asked. Venti and Heizou were also watching him, anticipating his response.

"Oh, yeah, he's, um, sick. Nothing serious but he can't come to school for the time being." Kazuha lied with a nervous smile and chuckle.

"We should definitely visit him then! He'll probably get lonely just rotting in bed..." Heizou said excitedly.

"No!" Kazuha suddenly exclaimed earning surprised looks from his friends. "N-No, Scara said he didn't really want anyone visiting.." He lied again, lowering his voice slightly. But he glanced at Venti, who looked at him with a solemn expression. Did that mean Venti understood what was going on?

Sure enough, after lunch, when they were heading to their classes, Venti suddenly turned to Xiao.

"You go on ahead without me, alright? I want to talk to Kazuha for a minute. Just tell Mr. Baizhu I'm in the bathroom." Venti said.

Xiao nodded and walked off. Heizou just glanced at the two of them before heading off to his own class, leaving Kazuha and Venti by themselves in the hallway.

"So, what's the real story?" Venti asked, seriously, once he was sure there was no one there.

"I was at Scaramouche's house and we were kissing and his father comes out of nowhere and he was really mad. It was really scary, his expression. Scaramouche told me to leave the house and now I have no idea what happened and I'm scared for Scara. Who knows what that monster could have done?!" Kazuha ranted, the bubbling panic in him overflowing him now.

"Shit." Was all Venti could say with a scared look on his face.

"What do we do, Venti?" Kazuha asked, desperately, tears forming in his eyes.

"I don't know.." Venti muttered, biting down on his thumb.

"Should we tell someone?" Kazuha asked.

"I mean, it's the best option we have, don't we? It doesn't even matter what Scaramouche thinks anymore, he'd end up dying at the hands of his father if this continues." Venti replied, but even he seemed unsure.

"Wait..." Kazuha thought quickly. Was there no one else the two of them could ask for help? Anyone who knows Scaramouche better, someone who'd know exactly what to do in this situation. Has Scaramouche ever mentioned a person like that... Suddenly, it hit Kazuha. He knew just who to go. It was no surprise he didn't think of this man before since Scarmouche only ever brought him up once.

"Let's skip school." He said to Venti.

"What?" Venti looked confused.

"I know just who we can tell this! But we can't wait after school, who knows what could happen in this time." Kazuha explained hurridly. "Please, Venti, I can't wait any longer."