Chapter 40

Scaramouche skipped lunch, of course, and headed straight to the rooftop. There was no way he was going to sit with those guys after everything. It was better to just go up to the rooftop to clear his head and think over his conversation with Mr. Zhongli. He didn't know what Mr. Zhongli got from that talk but he definitely did if he let Scaramouche go that easily.  Hopefully nothing too big happens though Scaramouche definitely had a dreading feeling in him of something bad happening...

He pushed open the door and stepped out onto the rooftop. The cool air brushing his face felt quite relieving after everything and walking up that warm staircase. Staying up here by himself in lunch is what he always did before meeting Kazuha and the others. He kinda missed it... But he did like being with the others. They were his first friends and he loved their company so much despite them being embarrassing dumbasses. He wants to stay their friend forever but he always feels like they'll grow bored of him and one day leave. Anyone will...

Then there was Kazuha. Did Scaramouche even need to explain?

Scaramouche still had so much to sort out about him and Kazuha and it just got more confusing after Kazuha confessed to him. Yes, he likes Kazuha but he didn't know if a relationship with him was exactly what he wanted. What if Kazuha just leaves him in the future and all of it was going to be nothing? Scaramouche knew Kazuha wasn't the type to do that but he still couldn't get it out of his head. 

"Dear Celestia, what do I do...?" Scaramouche groaned to himself, sinking down onto the floor, forehead against his legs. 

"Hey, you OK?" A voice suddenly asked.

Scaramouche whipped his head up in surprise to see Kazuha staring down at him, a paper bag in his hand.

"I figured I'd find you here since you didn't show up." Kazuha said with a small chuckle but he still sounded worried. 

"Oh... I just wanted to be on the roof today." Scaramouche mumbled, looking back down.

"I see..." Kazuha muttered. An awkward silence fell between the two of them. It was strange. They were almost never awkward with each other. 

"Um... Do you want some of these cookies? My mom made them for me!" Kazuha said, in feeble enthusiasm, offering the paper bag to Scaramouche. "She's an amazing baker and cook and her chocolate chip cookies are the best!"

"No thanks, I'm not hungry." Scaramouche responded, automatically, shaking his head.

"Oh... Of course you're not..." Kazuha mumbled the last part to himself, a crease forming between his brows. He desperately wanted to ask Scaramouche about the health test but if it was a sensitive topic he shouldn't say anything and just avoid it. He didn't want to make Scaramouche uncomfortable after all. 

"Um... So what have you got after this?" Kazuha asked.

"History." Scaramouche said. If Mr. Zhongli even made those looks of his at him, Scaramouche is jumping out of the window.

"I've got math. I'm hoping the teacher is absent." Kazuha said with an annoyed look at the prospect of math class.

"Yeah..."

Silence fell between the two of them once more. This felt so strange for Kazuha. He didn't even know what to say for the first time ever. His mouth would usually run like a motor when he was around Scaramouche but now he couldn't say anything because of the health-check earlier. He really wanted to ask...

"Go ahead." Scaramouche said, suddenly.

"Huh?" Kazuha said, looking at him confused.

"You want to ask about my weight, do it." Scaramouche responded.

"Oh...Well, there's nothing to ask right?" Kazuha said. "You're just kinda lightweight because you don't eat much, I guess..."

"Yeah." Scaramouche said, trying to hide the annoyance in his voice, but Kazuha noticed either way.

"Sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable, let's change the subject..." Kazuha muttered in a quiet voice. "Hey, let me tell you this funny thing Heizou did in english today!" He plopped down next to Scaramouche and his motor mouth started running off. 

Scaramouche was slightly surprised at how un-pushy, if that's the right word, Kazuha was about all of this and was just acting so casual again. Kazuha really cared a lot if he made Scaramouche uncomfortable or not... Honestly, what was he even thinking earlier? Kazuha would never be the type to leave someone behind. 

Guess I was kinda being an idiot..., Scaramouche thought to himself, a small smile on his face as he listened to Kazuha ramble.