Chapter 43

"When will we finally leave this place?" 

"What?" Scaramouche looked up from his math textbook and stared at Shoko with some shock while Shoko only looked back with a dead serious expression.

"We can't stay here forever, can we? How much longer will you play as dad's punching bag?" Shoko asked.

"..." Scaramouche didn't have an answer to this. He also felt sort of uncomfortable by his younger sister just suddenly asking him all these strange questions. He sighed and said

"When you're old enough." 

"Which is?" 

"I don't know. When you can finally take proper care of yourself so we both can get some jobs." Scaramouche said, with a shrug.

"....I'm old enough now." Shoko said.

"I'll be the judge of that." Scaramouche said, returning to his homework.

Shoko pouted, her annoyance at Scaramouche clear but she didn't say any more and went back to doing her own homework. And that's how the two of them stayed for the rest of the time until Shoko got bored eventually and ran off to play with her toys. Scaramouche just stayed at the table, working on his homework when he heard his father call his name. 

"KUNIKUZUSHI, GET YOUR ASS UP HERE!" The shout came from above. Both siblings froze when they heard it and stared at the ceiling before looking at each other. The fear in both their eyes was visible. Scaramouche swallowed and cautiously walked up into the living room.

"Yes, father?" He asked in a small voice, entering the space.

"We have guests coming over. Start cooking some dinner for them. And you better stay in the basement. I want NO noise from there or you know what happens." His father said, shooting a glare at him. 

'Yes, father." Scaramouche nodded obediently, holding back a sigh of relief. At least no beating today... He wondered who these guests were as he made his way to the kitchen to start on something. His father had done something useful in his pathetic life and made a list of the food he wanted served tonight. It all seemed kind of complicated but Scaramouche was sure he could manage it. No failures allowed after all, it had to be perfect.

After a while of cooking, Scaramouche was able to make a whole table full of delicious dishes until he felt like passing out from exhaustion. He set the table quickly and was shooed downstairs by his father since the guests were due in a few minutes. Shoko was curled up on her bed, fast asleep. At least, that made it easier to keep some peace.

After some time, he heard the door open and a bunch of cheerful voices greeting each other. The guests must have arrived. They were making such a din, Scaramouche couldn't even focus on his work. Ah, fuck it, he'll do this later, he thought slamming his books shut. Maybe he could sneak out while these guests were here? Yeah, he'll do that. Maybe he'll annoy Tamaki at his work.

Scaramouche pulled his sneakers on and sneaked out through the bulkhead, making sure to be quiet as to not wake Shoko up or alert the group upstairs. He started making his way to the supermarket, when he heard a familiar voice calling out his name.

"Oi, Scara!" Even if Scaramouche didn't recognize the voice, the nickname was enough to give it away.

"Hey, Kazuha." He said, as the albino caught up to him.

"Hey hey! Didn't expect to run into you here!" Kazuha said, with a laugh.

"Yeah..." Scaramouche muttered, his heart slightly fluttering at Kazuha's laugh.

"Well, since we're both out together, let's hang out, huh?" Kazuha suggested.

"Do I have a choice?"

"Nope! Come on!"

--------------

"How much longer are we going to walk?" Scaramouche complained. His legs were tired now. They had been walked for what felt like ages with Kazuha droning on about some new game he started playing called Reverse 1999 and how much of a good art style it had. (It fr is amazing. I ain't even that far in and like damn, Vertin, I'm already down bad)

"Hm, just a while longer? Would you like to stop at some cafe to get something to eat or drink?" Kazuha suggested.

"Ugh, no thanks." Scaramouche immediately shook his head. "Let's do something better than that."

"Park?"

"No. Too tired."

"We could go somewhere to eat?"

"No."

"What do you want to do?" Kazuha asked, stopping.

"I don't know, anything but walking on and on for ages." Scaramouche responded.

"Would you like me to carry you?"

"What?!"

"Since you're tired of walking, I can carry you!" Kazuha said with a smile as though there was nothing fucking wrong with this. "Here, come here!"

"Huh?! Wait!" Scaramouche explained, when Kazuha suddenly lifted him off the ground into his arms, carrying him all bridal style.

"Woah, you're lighter then I expected!" Kazuha exclaimed.

"Put me down right now!" Scaramouche yelled at him, face blushing a mad red.

A look passed in Kazuha's eyes and he smirked before simply replying, "No."

"Fuck you mean no?!"

"No means no, now come on!" Kazuha laughed, running off with Scaramouche still in his arms. This startled Scaramouche who threw his arms around Kazuha's neck to stabilize himself. What if someone saw them?! But for some reason, the way Kazuha was going was curiously empty.

'Isn't this fun?" Kazuha asked him with a bright grin.

"No." Scaramouche said, though a part of him was enjoying this.

Kazuha laughed and spun around once, earning a shocked yelp from Scaramouche who tightened his hold on Kazuha before stopping and setting Scaramouche down on the ground.

"Hehe, that was fun! Maybe we could do this more once you give me your answer!" Kazuha said, cheerfully.

"Sure..." Scaramouche muttered, still a bit shook from the whole thing. His heart was still racing from excitement and surprise and from being held so closely by Kazuha. He stared at his hands, remembering the feeling of Kazuha's neck. 

"Heyy, let's go there! That's my favorite bookshop!" Kazuha announced grabbing a hold of Scaramouche's hand and dragging him forward with him, laughing loudly. 

Scaramouche smiled slightly as Kazuha pulled him along. He really enjoyed this.