Chapter 31

Youtube is taunting me fr

I've noticed the increase in sad music playlists on my recommendations after me and my bestie had a fallout and one of them was literally titled 'what happened, I thought we were best friends'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'll have to give some context for Heizou first though." Venti said, twirling his straw around his fingers.

"Context? For what?" Heizou asked, tilting his head to the side in confusion.

"Heizou, do you know why I live with Jean and Diluc instead of my mom?" Venti asked, setting the straw down. Hearing Venti mention his mom was enough for the other three to know this news was definitely going to be bad.

"Jean's not your mom?" Heizou responded.

. . .

"You didn't know?!" Kazuha and Scaramouche exclaimed.

"No?!" Heizou yelled back.

"Hey, shut up! No, Jean isn't my mom! She's my aunt!" Venti said.

"Oh... Cool, what about it? Did your mom die?" Heizou asked, casually, taking a bite out of his sandwich. 

"No." Venti responded, giving Heizou an annoyed look. "She was an abusive bitch and got arrested."

"What?!" Heizou shouted, pieces of food flying out of his mouth.

"Ugh.." Scaramouche mumbled, slouching away from the table.

"Your mom abused you?!" Heizou asked, eyes will concern.

"Yes, keep your voice down, you oaf." Venti muttered, smacking a hand over Heizou's mouth, making a shushing gesture with his other hand.

"Sorry... But like, seriously? That's why you live with Jean?" Heizou said, still surprised, pulling Vent's hand off his mouth.

"Yep." Venti nodded, sitting back down.

"So what does your mom have to do with this...?" Xiao asked, looking slightly anxious about the news.

"She's out of prison and demanding custody of me again." Venti answered, taking a sip from his juice.

"WHAT?!" The other four shouted in unison, earning curious glances from the other students in the cafeteria. 

"For fuck's sake, can you all keep your voices down?" Venti said, glaring at them.

"Sorry..."They replied.

"So she's demanding custody of you again? Why?" Kazuha asked.

"I don't know. Said some shit about how she wants to make it better between us and she's changed and everything." Venti replied, propping his elbow up on the table, chin resting on his hand.

"And? What're you going to do now?" Heizou pressed on.

"I really don't know. I want to believe she's changed but..." Venti broke off, looking down at the table.

"But...?"

"I'm scared." Venti mumbled, face crumpled, fists clenched tightly on the table. Xiao held his hand gently, a sad expression on his face.

The other three also looked at Venti with slightly pitying expressions. Scaramouche could sort of understand how Venti felt considering both of them shared similar backgrounds. But he could never imagine his dad trying to 'change.' For him, his dad will always be a monster.

"Maybe you  could meet up with her and see how she is now and then make you decision?" Heizou suggested.

"I agree. You can try that Venti." Kazuha nodded.