Chapter 9 - Unintended Consequences

Klaus has set up a dinner table is set up in the courtyard to celebrate his return to leadership over New Orleans and his repossession of the compound from Marcel

Klaus has set up a dinner table is set up in the courtyard to celebrate his return to leadership over New Orleans and his repossession of the compound from Marcel. Marcel and his closest friends are seated around the table while Klaus and I are seated at each end.

Klaus calls for everyone's attention to give a speech by tapping his glass with his fork while I regret getting that fucking car.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows do diminish with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine." Klaus starts with which makes me roll my eyes as Klaus gestures towards a group of waiters and waitresses to have them join us at the table.

The servants lift up knives to slit their wrists but before mine can I grab his knife and pull him down to me, biting into his neck.

Klaus shoots me a glare at my behaviour but I smirk at him with my face covered in blood as I realise my guy to the floor.

Klaus raises his glass in a toast to the others, "...To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow..."

Marcel lifts his glass and finishes Klaus sentiment , "...and the party never end!"

Diego flows and raises his glass, toasting, "To New Orleans."

"To New Orleans!" Everyone follows, toasting with him.

"To this dinner ending." I toast which makes the table fall into silence and look towards me.

Klaus shoots me another glare while I just look a him bored look in return. Klaus clears his throat and they all look back at him.

"I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires." Klaus announces to them.

"What about her?" Diego asks as he points to me.

I give a fake pout as I ask, "Your feelings still hurt from our last meeting?"

Diego goes to stand but Marcel shoots him a look and Diego huffs, sitting back down which makes me smirk.

"Still taking orders I see. Speaking of which." I turn my glaze from Diego to Marcel.

"I can clear up a few mysteries for you, Marcel. I have killed...." I pause for a moment as I try to count but just end up shrugging, "a lot of your guys." I tell him with a smile.

I see a twitch in Marcel's jaw which lets me know I am getting to him.

"Phoebe." Klaus lets out a warning growl which makes me roll my eyes.