Chapter 18 - Protecting the Future

Elijah bursts into the church and looks around desperately as Stefan catches up to him

"PHOEBE!" Elijah yells out frantically as he hoped that not feeling her did not mean what he thinks.

He stops dead in his tracks, panting and out of breath as a result of the werewolf bites which are now healed over, thanks to whatever Phoebe had done.

Elijah could see the broken glass that was once the window.

He continues to look around the church when his eyes land on Klaus.

Klaus sits on the steps in front of the altar with Phoebe's body lays in his lap as he holds her close and cries.

Elijah takes in the look of utter pain on Klaus's face as he looks down at Phoebe's motionless body.

When Elijah looks at Phoebe for himself, he starts to sob as he takes her in.

"No. No, no. No..." Elijah mumbles out as he falls on his knees by Phoebe's body, in front of Klaus.

"She's gone." Klaus says, his tone lacking any sort of emotion.

Stefan stares at his sister's body as the men who she loves and who love her, breakdown from her death. Stefan holds the wall as he feels his own heart shatter again. In the span of less than a week he has lost his brother and now his sister and from the looks of it, his niece as well.

Elijah pulls Phoebe's body towards him as he sobs but as he does, he sees the baby which is wrapped in a sheet and laying in Klaus's arms between Phoebe and Klaus.

A cry rings out through the church as the baby loses contact with Phoebe's body, which shocks Stefan as he looks towards Klaus and Elijah again and sees it.

I gasp wake as I move my hand to my chest where Monique had just stabbed a stake through. Disoriented, I look around at my surroundings unsure where I am as everything around me is dark and seems to go on forever in every direction.

"What the hell?" I think as I slowly stand up.

As if hearing my voice, the shadow woman moves in front of me, which makes me jump back in fright.