Chapter 27 - Thanksgiving Surprises

I stare out the window, chewing on my lip as Elijah drives and the girls quietly sit in the backseat, in their car chairs

Elijah can see the anxiety written all over my face and reaches his hand over to grabs mine, giving it a little squeeze, which brings me from my own thoughts to look over at him.

I smile at him, grateful for his presence.

"What's on your mind?" Elijah asks me as his eyes search mine for a moment before looking back the road.

"Should we be doing this?" I ask out loud before adjusting myself in my seat towards him, "I mean should we really be taking them out when they are meant to be in hiding."

Elijah takes a deep breath before answering, "I understand your concern and I know it's risky, but with Esther down and everything quiet I am sure they will be fine especially if we are with them . Plus, we can't keep them locked up in houses forever. They need to experience some semblance of normalcy, even if it's just for a little while."

I nod my head, his words giving me a slimmer of peace in my mind but still feeling uneasy.

"You were right with what you said. Us being in Mystic Falls would make sense if anyone managed to do a tracking spell since your brother has come back to life. Plus your brothers and those in Mystic Falls, won't do or say anything that would put them in any harm." Elijah adds, trying to reassure me.

I let out a sigh, knowing that he's right. We have to think about the girls' well-being and not just focus on their safety.

"I guess you're right," I say, leaning back in my seat, "I just can't help but worry about them."

Elijah gives me another reassuring squeeze, "I know. But we'll be with them every step of the way. And we won't take any unnecessary risks."

I nod again, feeling a bit more relaxed. Elijah's presence always has a way of calming me down.

"Remember that we are going to Whitmore university, not Mystic Falls." I remind him as the exit comes into view.

"Why?" Elijah asks and I answer with a shrug, "Caroline and Elena are going there and since it's their Friendsgiving, they choose the location."