Chapter 14 - A House Divided

"They say the passage of time will heal all wounds

"They say the passage of time will heal all wounds. But the greater the loss, the deeper the cut, and the more difficult the process to become whole again. The pain may fade, but scars serve as a reminder of our suffering, and make the bearer all the more resolved never to be wounded again. So, as time moves along, we get lost in distractions. Act out in frustration. React with aggression. Give in to anger. And, all the while, we plot and plan as we wait to grow stronger, and before we know it, the time passes. We are healed. Ready to begin anew." Klaus says as he stands and grabs his shirt.

"If you are going to continue to speak in philosophical messages than I am going to find someone else to entertain me." I tell him as I pull the blanket from the couch to cover me.

Elijah walks into Klaus's art room, joining us as I spy at him over the top of the couch

Elijah walks into Klaus's art room, joining us as I spy at him over the top of the couch. Elijah sees my state of undress and gives me a disapproving look but I give him a cheeky smile and shrug.

"Doctor said to take it easy, never mentioned anything about become a nun." I tell him before laying back down on the couch.

Elijah rounds the couch, standing to the side of it as he addresses Klaus.

"Niklaus, it has been over a month. Now, I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you. But you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behaviour and channel it into some kind of action."

"Why must I, exactly?" Klaus questions as he grabs one of his paint brushes and goes back to his painting.

"Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king. You wanted this throne. Now, you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that." Elijah instructs and I roll myself onto my side, watching the two of them bicker.

"Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits." Klaus tells him as he starts to paint, barely paying Elijah any attention.

Klaus's attitude towards Elijah seems to irritate Elijah as he storms across the room to Klaus, snatching the paintbrush from Klaus's hand.

"If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter. Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus. Let's make this city whole again." Elijah rants to him.