Chapter 26 - A Moment of Peace and a Desperate Plan

I stare out the window as the excitement over seeing them seems to die inside me as I know it can only mean that something is wrong

Klaus reaches a hand across and places it on my thigh which makes me roll my head across the headrest to look over at him.

His eyes meet mine, and I can see the concern etched into his features. He squeezes my thigh gently, as if to reassure me.

"Hey," he says softly. "What's going through that mind of yours?"

"Why was Elijah with Rebekah in the first place?" I ask him.

"Esther had found Rebekah with her sterlings and she needed help and at the time Elijah was the best person to help her." He explains.

"Or they don't trust you with your own daughters." Enchantress says as she leans between the seats with viscous smile. 

My eyes flicker from Klaus's to hers for a moment but Klaus catches it, looking concerned as he looks at the space but as always seeing nothing.

I try to push Enchantress's words out of my head, knowing that they hold no truth. But the seed of doubt has already been planted, and it's hard to shake off. I turn my head back to the window but move my hand over the one he has on my thigh because no matter that we may be fight, I need his touch to ground me.

"I just need to see them," I sigh out.

We pass a sign that indicates a rest stop up ahead and I take it as a sign.

"Can we stop at the next stop? I need to get out." I say to Klaus, my voice barely above a whisper.

Klaus looks as if he was going to disagree but something changes his mind so instead he nods, his eyes still locked onto me.

We pull off the road and into the rest stop. 

I step out of the car and take a deep breath of the fresh air, trying to clear my head. But the doubts keep nagging at me, and I can't seem to shake them off. I look at Klaus over the car as he seems to be already watching my every move.

"I am going to the bathroom." I say before walking off to the side of the shop towards the bathroom.

As I get to the door of the bathroom, a guy comes walking out the back whispering urgently into his phone which makes me stop with interest. He seems to feel my eyes because he whips his head around to me and when he sees me his eyes widen, quickly ending the call before rushing off away from me.

I shrug it off but stop again as I hear a whisper in my ear.

"He knows."

"I am not playing your games." I tell her as I go to push the bathroom door open.

"I am not playing a game this time." Enchantress says as she appears next to me, leaning against the wall, "But he seemed to know who you are but go ahead, do your business. Leave him to contact Esther or whoever he answers to so he can tell them your daughters are alive and well."