Chapter 25 - Making Choices

Delilah and Ezra sit on the couch opposite me and Kelsey while there is a silence between as both sides wait for Hayley to join them

"I think we can start without Hayley. We can start with the stuff she already knows." Delilah starts with while Kelsey and I share a little glance.

"Fine." I agree, "What is it that you want to start with?"

"How about we start with why the fuck you turned off your humanity?!" Delilah demands.

Delilah swearing stuns me and Kelsey as she rarely swears and when she does it is always for a good reason.

I take a moment before answering, "I lost my brother and daughter all in one day. It was just too much so I did the only thing I could think of to do it just rid me of that pain."

Delilah's eyes soften as she takes in my words. "And I am sorry for everything you lost," she says, her voice gentle. "But turning off your humanity wasn't the answer and if you had just come to me and told me how you were feeling, I could have helped you without you flipping that switch."

"I know that now," I reply, my voice barely above a whisper. "But at the time I didn't want to talk about it, about any of it. I just wanted it to stop. I want the constant feeling of guilt and pain that was everywhere I looked to just leave me alone."

Kelsey reaches out and takes my hand. "We understand that you were hurting, but what you did was dangerous. You don't just turn off your humanity and expect everything to be okay. But know how sorry I am about the way I dealt with everything." she says in a firm but understanding tone.

I nod, feeling remorse for my actions. "I know. And I'm sorry for blaming you for a situation I got myself into, it wasn't right."

Delilah leans forward, resting her elbows on her knees. "So, what made you turn your humanity back on?" she asks, curiosity lacing her words.

Kelsey looks away with guilt before getting up and walking over to the drinks tray in the corner of the room.

"You want the blunt version or the long one?" I ask her but Ezra answers instead, "Blunt."

"Kelsey drugged me a couple times and then with the help of Klaus and Stefan locked me in a cell in the dungeon beneath the compound. They trapped me with rune carvings while forcing me to relive the shitest century of my life, over and over until it became so much that my switch turned itself back."

Delilah's eyes widen in shock as she takes in my words. "That's... intense," she says, clearly at a loss for words. "But I guess it worked."

"It did," I confirm, rubbing my neck as it feels as though claws are digging in there. I know that if turn around that blasted woman will be standing there, ready to drive me out of my goddamn mind.

"Enough about that though!" I dismiss the subject, "What about you two? What happened in those three months since we all were together like this?"

Kelsey returns with a tray of drinks and passes them out to each of us before taking a seat back on the couch. "Well," Delilah begins, taking a sip of her drink. "After everything that happened with you, we decided to take a break from all the supernatural drama. We went on a road trip, just the two of us while Ezra tried to get his amplified emotions under check. We did stop at camps every bloodily full moon so that Ezra could help those having their first change through it."