Chapter 23 - A Dangerous Gamble

A cry rings through the compound and I groan softly as I crawl out of between Klaus and Elijah, getting out bed

A cry rings through the compound and I groan softly as I crawl out of between Klaus and Elijah, getting out bed. I shrug on my gown as not to walk through the compound naked. I push the door to the nursery open and stepping in before closing the door behind me softly.

I walk over to the crib and smile down at Hope and Faith as Hope wiggles and screams out while Faith just stares at her sister with disinterest.

I pick up Hope and she settles down against my chest, her screams just becoming whimpers as she seems to be on the search for food.

I look down at Faith and tilt my head while putting my finger in her hand and she wraps her little hand around it tightly. 

I watch her for a moment before smiling softly, "You remind me more and more of your father everyday."

Faith gurgles in response, and I chuckle softly before turning my attention back to Hope. I cradle her in my arms and make my way to the kitchen, hoping to find some milk to feed her.

As I enter the kitchen, I notice that I'm not alone. 

Ezra is sitting at the counter, sipping on a glass of water and offers me a smile as I  walk in.

I return the smile, nodding my head in acknowledgement. "Morning Ezra," I say softly, making my way to the fridge to grab a bottle of milk. "Sorry if we woke you, Hope has been a bit fussy lately."

"No worries," he replies, taking another sip of his water. "I was up anyway."

"So, how does it feel to be a married man?" I ask him as I warm the bottle up using my magic.

He chuckles, setting his glass down on the counter. "Feels no different than before, to be honest. But I'm happy and she is happy, that's all that matters."

I nod, understandingly. "I'm happy for you, Ezra."

He smiles at me, then his expression turns serious and his eyes go blank. "You don't belong here." He says which catches me by surprise.

I freeze for a moment and blink a few times as i stare at him while is expression morphs into a smile.

"What?" I ask as my throat becomes dry.

"I said, thank you for letting us have the wedding in the compound." Ezra repeats himself but he looks over me with concern, "Are you okay, Phoebe?"

I give him a relieved smile and nod my head, "Yeah I am fine. Just sleep deprived, like I said, Hope has been fussy lately."

Ezra nods in understanding, "Hopefully it'll get better, Pheebs."

I give him a nod in agreement before taking the now warm bottle of milk and making my way to the living room. 

As I settle down on the sofa and begin to feed Hope, my mind drifts back to Ezra's strange comment. I can't help but feel a bit unnerved by it but I push the thought to the back of my mind and focus on my daughter, feeling her little hands grip my finger.