Chapter 28 - Unintended Consequences

Elijah sits up from the bed and moves towards the edge as I lay there watching him

I squint my eyes and look at him as he pulls his phone out of his pocket

"What are you doing?" I ask, curiously.

"Finding out where Klaus is and when he is getting back." Elijah explains and I sigh collapsing back onto the bed.

I push the covers off of me as I drag myself out of bed, "I am going to go check on the girls."

Elijah nods and I make my way out of the room. 

As I walk down the hallway, I hear the sound of giggling coming from the girls' room and I smile to myself. They are always happy when they are together. I reach the door and push it open softly, trying not to disturb them.

Both girls sit in their crib, opposite each other, playing with their toys. I watch them for a moment and let out a soft sigh.

They are growing up so fast, I can hardly believe it.

I move closer to the crib and they both look over at me, reaching out little hands to me and giggling in excitement. I walk over to them, grinning at their adorable faces. 

Their chubby cheeks and sparkly eyes make my heart swell with love and pride.

"Hey, my little munchkins. Are you having fun?" I ask them, reaching down to stroke their soft hair.

They coo in response and I chuckle softly. As I watch them, I can't help but think about how much they have changed my life. I lean in and place a gentle kiss on the top of each of their heads before picking them up.

I look between the two of them in each arm with a warm smile,

"Let's go see what uncle Elijah is up too and how long until daddy comes back." I carry them out of the room and back towards the bedroom.

As I walk towards the door, I can hear the sound of Elijah on the phone with Klaus.

"Klaus, tell me you're not about to do something stupid," Elijah says, the worry in his voice palpable.