Chapter 24 - Monsters Within

I can hear the sound of leaves rustling in a gentle breeze and the distant howling of wolves

I can hear the sound of leaves rustling in a gentle breeze and the distant howling of wolves. The moon shines brightly overhead, casting a pale light on the floor.

It's a full moon and from the howling there are wolves in theses woods which makes me roll my eyes. I start walking to the side when I see someone vamping through the woods just in front of me.

"What the fuck?" I mutter as I watch her stop in front of me.

She looks to be around my age and she has long dark hair but her aura is lighter than mine but she seems familiar to me.

I follow after her through the trees while I realize that i am not the only one following her.

I make out in front of her as she looks behind with a wide smile across her face, she is enjoying the chase and whatever the hell is happening.

"Phoebe!" I hear being shouted and the voice makes me freeze and it feels as though my heart has stopped. I spin round and see Damon chasing after the girl which is me.

Of course, these are my memories but why don't I remember this one.

"Damon!" I hear myself call back to as she smiles at him and vamps over to him so carefree in all her actions.

"I need to stop it." I mumble to myself as watch them but I couldn't figure out why I wanted to stop was happening.

I needed to understand why i felt like I needed to stop it so I stay where I am standing, watching with a feeling of helplessness.

"What the hell is happening?" Damon demands from past me while look at him with amusement.

"Isn't it obvious? I am having fun, big brother."

I feel a sense of recognition as I hear my past-self speak. I know this was a different version of me, one that was carefree and reckless. One free of years of torment that were to come for her. 

It was a version of me that I had been for over a century.

I am taken out my thoughts as hundreds of people swarm the woods around her and Damon as if being drawn to the past me, like a moth to a flame

As I watch the scene unfold before me, I realize that these people weren't all vampires like I had assumed. There was wolves. Witches. Even some humans.