Chapter 38 - Chains and Revelations

Hope and Faith chase each other around, screaming their lungs out as I sit and watch them from the patio of Hayley and Jackson's house

"How is Cami doing?" Hayley asks as she takes a seat next to me.

"I convinced her to complete the transition by making her a promise that I probably shouldn't have." I tell her with a small sigh.

Hayley puts a hand on my shoulder. "What promise did you make?"

"I promised her that I would help her find a way to bring back Finn once I track down that damn pendant." I reveal, feeling a weight lift off my chest as the words leave my mouth.

"Is that why you are leaving the girls here today?" Hayley asks as she glances over to them.

I smile lightly, "I just need them somewhere I know is safe. Not to mention, them spending time with other children like them and actually knowing their pack will be good for them."

Hayley nods in understanding. "I get it. It's hard enough trying to navigate the supernatural world, let alone raising kids in it."

"Exactly," I say. "I just want to make sure they have a somewhat normal childhood while they can."

Hayley nods in agreement and we sit in silence for a few moments, watching the girls play together.

"Be careful, Pheebs. You never know what kind of trouble you might run into."

"I will," I assure her with a small smile.

As I stand up to leave, Hope and Faith come running up to me.

"Mama, leaving?" Hope asks, looking up at me with her big brown eyes.

I kneel down to their level and nod. "Yes, but you two are going to stay here with aunty Hayley and uncle Jackson for a little while."

"No!" Faith pouts and I pull them in for a hug, "I promise I'll be back soon, okay? And we can have some family time when I return."

Hope smiles and nods, but Faith seems less convinced. I give them each a kiss on the forehead before standing up and making my way up the hill, towards my car.

I walk through the trees when I feel like I am being followed which makes me move faster until I reach my car and away from the trees.

Before I can open, I feel a prick in my back which makes me pause as I reach over my shoulder and pull out the dart.

I hear another dart being shoot and catch it before it reaches me.

"You gonna come out of the woods like a good little girl?" A voice taunts from the trees. "Or do I have to come in there and get you?"

Aya vamps towards me and stabs me with another dart but I had my werewolf-covered blade in hand and as the dart hits me, I move my hand and slice her across the face with it.