Chapter 16

"He's missing, Colby." Madelyn said as she restocked books next to Colby. "It's been three days and I've not heard one word from him..."

Colby sighed and tensed up. It had been three days since he murdered his neighbor, three days since he regretted killing someone's husband, three days since he had to bury another body, three days since he brought back something inside him he never thought he would see again. "When was the last time you saw him?"

Madelyn sighed and moved to the next row of books. "Right before I went into work the other morning. I know he left to run some errands then he stopped by your house to do his session with Rebecca..." She stopped and chewed on her bottom lip. "Do you think I did something to make him mad?"

No. He's six feet under, Madelyn. And quite frankly, I don't think you could do anything to make anyone mad...Colby shook his head. "Are you kidding? Adam adores you." And almost every woman he ever had a session with. "I don't think you could do anything to make him mad. Plus I think if he were, he would have given you a heads up about where he was headed."

Madelyn sighed. "That's true. I'm just worried. This is the longest we've been without saying a word to one another. I just wish he would let me know if he's okay..."

Colby took a deep breath and gathered some more books up. "Have you tried calling him?"

Madelyn turned around to face him and scoffed. "Of course I have, Colby!" She said before quieting down. "I've called him nonstop, but it goes straight to voice mail." She then stepped closer to him. "I have a bad feeling that something is wrong."

Colby looked down at her and realized she was starting to tear up. Oh god. What have I done?! I've ruined this girls life. "Madelyn..." He said shaking his head. He then sighed and pulled her in for a hug. "I'm sure he's fine."

Madelyn just wrapped her arms around him and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry for, bringing this up. I'm just really worried."

Colby just stared off into the distance, feeling the most amount of regret he had ever felt. No...he touched Becks, my WIFE...MULTIPLE times. He had to go Madelyn! Colby stepped back and gave her shoulder a pat. "Are you okay?"

Madelyn nodded and pressed her lips together. "Yeah...thank you, for being there for me." She said with a slight smile. "I better go and get these customers checked out, I guess."

Colby smiled and watched as she walked away. He then sighed with relief. He started placing the books back on the selves, trying to forget about his mixed feelings. He knew he shouldn't have killed Adam. There were tons of consequences. Madelyn being a widow, Colby getting caught again and going to jail, and worst of all, this could ruin his relationship with his family. He promised to never take another life, they both did, so that they could provide a safe and happy life for their daughter, and here he was throwing it all away.

If Rebecca finds out...she will never forgive me. Oh god, what am I going to do? He said as he finished the last row of books. He sighed and wished he had more to do, then grabbed the book cart and wheeled it back to the storage room.

When he walked back out, he was supposed to go and fix up a broken shelf, but he saw Rebecca walk through the big library doors, with Roux in her arms. Oh no...why isn't she with Elena?

Rebecca walked up to the front desk and smiled at Madelyn. "Hey Madelyn! How are you?"

Madelyn smiled. "Hey, Rebecca. I'm doing okay, how are you two?"

Rebecca nodded and looked down at Roux. "We're doing okay, little Roux here hasn't felt good today so I had to pick her up." Rebecca then rubbed her hand through Roux's  curls. "Im pretty sure she was just missing her Mama."

Madelyn awed, and looked at the little girl. "I think your daddy just finished restocking the books. Maybe him reading to you in the kids center will cheer you up?"

Roux smiled. "Okay!" She then looked at her mom. "Where's dada?"

Rebecca smiled and tickled her stomach. "Let's go find him!"

Colby smiled as he watched the two walk around the counter, then he walked towards them waving. "Hi girls." He said taking Roux from Rebecca. "What are you doing here munchkin?"

Roux smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Elena called and said she was crying. She was complaining of her tummy hurting, but once I got there she acted fine." Rebecca patted her back. "I think she just missed her parents."

Colby smiled and rubbed his hand over her back. "Does Roux want a story?"

Roux quickly lifted her head up and smiled. "Yeah!"

Colby laughed. "Okay." He then looked at Rebecca with a smile. "Did you close up for today?"

Rebecca nodded and followed them towards the reading center. "Yeah...it wasn't busy."

"I would have done the same thing." Once they were in the center, Colby let Roux down and watched as she moved to a bright pink bean bag. He then looked up at Rebecca with a smile. "Mama do you want to sit next to me?"

Rebecca smiled and watched as he sat down on a big white bean bag. "Of course I do."

Colby held his hand out and helped Rebecca sit down before grabbing a book. "You ready Roux?"

She nodded happily, and Rebecca and Colby couldn't help but smile. Rebecca cuddled up to Colby, who was opening the book. "Once upon a time..."