Chapter 27

The duo watched from their living room window for almost three hours, waiting for the reporters and cops to finally leave. It had reached the news and local newspapers almost an hour after they first arrived, and Colby and Rebecca sure didn't want to get caught in their mess.

If they were questioned, the police would know what they're names were—unless they lied of course. But their faces were plastered all over the news after Colby's arrest, and plastered again once they faked their deaths.

"When do you think they're gonna leave?" Rebecca asked cleaning up the kitchen.

Colby shrugged from the couch, taking glances at the window. "I have no idea. You would think they would have all the information they needed by now." He said with a roll of his eyes. "I can't imagine what Madelyn is going through..."

Rebecca glanced at him before putting her cleaning supplies away. "I'm gonna bake her a cake and bring it over there later on."

Colby pressed his lips together with a small smile. "That's sweet of you."

Rebecca grabbed her cake pan and laid it on the counter. "Well, she's been a good friend so I thought that's the least I could do." She then smirked. "My husband was also the one to kill hers, so—"

Colby scoffed. "Don't need to remind me."

"Already did." She said getting her ingredients out. "Could you help with some of this? I can't lift with this arm..."

Colby nodded and walked into the kitchen to stand beside her. He watched as she put the ingredients in, but then he grabbed the big spoon to stir it all up. Rebecca watched with a smile on her face as he poured the mixture onto the pan, and place it in the oven. "Maybe you should help me in the bakery."

Colby smiled as he set the timer. "Trust me I'm not as good as you think."

Rebecca laughed and moved to the refrigerator to get the ingredients to make her homemade icing. "You could always be the cashier..."

Colby shook his head. "Im good at the library. I'd more than likely eat all the sweets."

A knock on the door made them both freeze and look at one another. "Be quiet..." Colby whispered.

Rebecca gripped his arm and squeezed it fearfully. They heard a knock again and then the doorbell. "I'm gonna check the cameras." Rebecca whispered grabbing her phone from the counter.

"Rebecca?" She heard that all too familiar name call out. "It's Elena."

Rebecca sighed with relief and Colby moved to open the door. "Hey, Elena. Come on in."

She walked in with a smile on her face. Rebecca walked in the foyer and waved. "Hi, Elena. What are you doing here?"

Elena pulled out her phone. "I was just swinging by to see when you wanted me to start babysitting again."

"Oh yeah! Sorry I forgot to call and tell you your schedule." Rebecca said with a shake of her head. "You'll be starting again next week. I'm gonna take the rest of this week off, just to give it some more time to heal. Hopefully I'll be able to work register at the bakery starting Monday."

Elena nodded. "Okay great!" She then pressed her lips together in a giddy smile. "I also needed to ask about something else..."

Rebecca nodded, and waited for Elena to stop smiling. "Would you two be up for a double date? I've been with my boyfriend for a while now, and I would love for you to meet him."

Rebecca smiled and glanced towards her husband. "Of course! You can come over anytime. I'll fix us dinner and we'll eat here if you'd like."

Elena nodded eagerly. "That sounds amazing! How about Friday night?"

Rebecca nodded. "Friday night sounds good. Colby you don't have anything planned right?"

Colby shrugged. "Not that I know of. I'm a pretty boring dude."

Rebecca tilted her head and gave him a look. "What's this boyfriend of yours like?" She asked with a smile.

Elena blushed. "You'll find out Friday. But you'll love him!"

Rebecca nodded. "Okay, I can't wait." Elena then opened up the front door. "Oh Elena! What do you want me to fix?"

Elena shrugged. "You're the cook. Fix whatever your heart desires. He loves anything, really. I do too." She added with a laugh.

Rebecca gave her a thumbs up. "Alright then. We'll see you Friday. Nice to see you, Elena!"

She waved back then glanced towards the living room. "Where's Roux bear?"

Colby motioned upstairs. "Playing with her Barbie's."

Elena nodded. "Ah okay. Tell her I said hi." She then walked out. "See you all Friday!"

They waved and watched as she left then locked the front door. "You don't think any of the reporters saw us do you?" Rebecca asked looking through the peephole of the door.

Colby shook his head. "I don't even see anymore reporters. It's just two cops sitting outside with a notepad."

Rebecca nodded and walked back into the kitchen to finish up her icing. "Why didn't she just call?" Colby asked walking up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder.

Rebecca shrugged. "I have no idea. Maybe she was just bored." She then licked some icing. "Or maybe she was being nosy and wanted to see the action across the street."

Colby tilted his head and kissed her neck softly. "It was just weird ya know? She could've picked up the phone and texted instead of driving the thirty minutes it takes to get here."

Rebecca leaned back into his touch and their conversation fell silent. She shut her eyes as Colby kissed her neck. They just swayed back and forth, waiting for the timer to go off.

Roux came down stairs eventually though, and the duo had to fight back laughs when they saw her dressed up. "What are doing missy?" Colby asked rubbing Rebecca's sides.

Roux just smiled. "I'm a Barbie princess." She then spun around, making sure her dress flowed up in the air.

Rebecca finally broke and laugh. "You look adorable Roux."

Roux smiled and done another twirl. "I know!"

Colby kissed his wife's shoulder and moved to pick up his daughter. He swung her through the air making her laugh. Rebecca watched with a smile as she cleaned up her trash and put the icing in the fridge. She would love to go and enjoy spending time with Roux, but she had a bad pit in her stomach, and she needed to figure out what her guts were trying to say.