Chapter 22

Rebecca's heart raced as they were on their way home, riding in the back of a police car. What if he tries something again? What if the next time, he kills one of us...or Roux? How are we supposed to cope with him?! He's a monster...

"Alright here you go." The officer stated as he pulled them up in the driveway. "I'll call and let you know if we find any more evidence."

Colby nodded as the man opened the car door. "Thank you sir. We really appreciate it."

"Of course, man. If anything else happens, make sure to call and ask for my badge number. I'm taking your case. I'm going to do everything I can to keep you both safe." He then smiled. "Have a good night."

The duo stood there and watched as he left, before going to the door. Elena already knew they were coming, so she had the door unlocked. They walked in and she stood up from the couch worriedly. "Oh my gosh!" She said walking towards them. "I had no idea you got into an accident. Are you okay?!" She said giving them a hug.

Rebecca smiled as she pulled back. "We're alive, so that's all that matters." She said glancing down at her arm. "Uhm, I'm sorry you've had to stay so late."

Elena shook her head. "Don't be sorry! You could've been killed!" She said checking them both over. "Any major injuries? Besides your arm, of course."

"My knee is hurting me a lot. But the doctor said I'd be good with ice and rest." Rebecca said with a sigh. "Colby has a lot of cuts and bruises, but only had to have one place stitched up." She said rubbing her hand over his hair.

Elena sighed and pressed her lips together. "I'm glad you're both okay." She then looked up towards the stairs. "I put Roux to bed about an hour ago."

"Was she good?" Colby asked, placing the keys to their now broken vehicle, in a nearby cabinet drawer.

Elena nodded. "She was an angel. She did fall outside running after Kevin, but she hopped right back up and started playing again."

Rebecca smiled. "Must mean she didn't get hurt." She said laughing. She then pulled out Elena's money, and handed it to her with a smile. "Thank you, Elena. And don't worry about coming over for the next week or so. I'm not going to bake so I'll stay home with her."

Elena nodded. "Well, call me if you need me. I'll come over at any time." She then gave them one last hug. "Love you all."

Rebecca and Colby smiled. "Love you too. Be careful." Rebecca called out as she left.

Colby sighed and watched as his wife turned her head to look at him. "She's such a sweet soul."

He nodded and pulled Rebecca in for a much needed hug. "Yeah. I'm glad we found her..." He said stroking her back.

Rebecca closed her eyes, and relaxed in his arms. She was disappointed that she couldn't wrap her other arm around him, due to the sling, so she just cuddled up to him as best as she could. "I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight." She whispered.

Colby placed his chin on her head and pressed her closer. "I don't think I can either." He then swallowed. "Do you want to help me build something?"

Rebecca laughed and looked up at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Sure thing, handy manny." She said with a chuckle. When she saw the serious look on his face she stopped. "Wait, you're serious?"

Colby nodded and pulled her towards their garage. "I kept something when we moved. And if we plan on finding and catching this guy, we're going to need it."

Rebecca moved closer to him when they walked in, as she didn't know where or what Colby was going towards. Now what in the world is he talking about?! Colby then stopped in front of a big box. "Don't get mad."

Rebecca watched as he pulled it out and started unboxing it. She didn't even know they had the box in the garage, let alone what was in it. When the box was finally opened she froze as she saw what he had. "You did not..." She whispered. "Colby Daniel Lopez—"

"I thought we may use it someday so I kept it." He said pointing towards the pieces.

Rebecca bent down, and ran her hand over the laminated glass, that was once used for a cage. She then looked up at Colby with a shake of her head. "And where do you plan on putting this? Because my bakery doesn't have a basement."

Colby nudged Rebecca gently out of the way and scooted it closer to her car. "I found a big storage building on Main Street. I figured we could use one of the units."

Rebecca pressed her lips together impressed. "Not a bad idea..."

Colby winked at her, then picked the big box up—with little help from Rebecca considering she was in a sling—to place it in Rebecca's trunk. "We'll go tomorrow and build it. I figured it was our best option when it came down to our enemy. If we catch him, we'll keep him in here and he'll be far away from our family."

"And if we don't?" Rebecca asked.

Colby shook his head. "Then I'm gonna die trying kill him."