Chapter 32

When Colby finally arrived to the storage building, he moved to the back of the building where he could park unseen. Rebecca, who followed behind him, pulled in beside of him and rolled down the window. "How are we gonna do this?"

Colby shrugged and turned forward trying to focus. It was quiet for a few moments before Roux spoke up. "Dada is this the place with that box we built?"

Colby glanced back towards his daughter with a smile. "Yes, baby."

Roux nodded and kicked her feet against her car seat. "I wanna see it!" She said.

Rebecca turned around and patted her daughter's leg. "Not tonight, sweetheart. We won't be here for long, it's late." Roux frowned and hugged her stuffed teddy bear she never leaves the house with.

Colby then turned off the car. "You stay with her, im going to—" He then stopped himself from saying "them". "I'm going to bring our...cargo inside."

Rebecca nodded. "Do you need me to help? I can lock it back up in case...it moves."

Colby opened his mouth to say something but then closed it and nodded. "Yeah. I'll text you when I'm ready. That way she won't be out here for so long."

"What's cargo?" Roux asked Rebecca.

Rebecca turned and looked at her. "It's like packages and stuff."

"Oh okay." Roux said.

Colby then smiled at Roux. "Roux why don't you get mommy to take you to see the frogs over there?" He said pointing towards a tree behind the car. It was out and away from the building, far enough where Roux couldn't see what—or who—he was carrying.

Roux then perked her face up. "Please mommy? I wanna see froggy!"

Rebecca smiled and turned off the car. Once she saw Colby get out of the car, she did as well. "Text me when you're ready."

Colby nodded and waited for her to get Roux from her seat. "Come on." Rebecca said hoisting her up.

Colby watched as Rebecca wondered off, then he went to the trunk to grab Theo. Luckily, Theo was still unconscious, so all Colby had to do was unlock their storage unit, and put him inside.

He walked inside the storage unit once it was unlocked and turned on the lights. He placed his keys on a long table by the garage door, before opening the cage door and dropping Theo inside. He shut the cage then walked out to the car to repeat the same process with Elena.

Rebecca held Roux in her arms—even though her right one was still giving her a lot of pain—and let her see a few frogs that were huddled on a tree. "Can i keep one?" Roux asked puckering her bottom lip.

Rebecca patted her nose with her finger slightly. "We can't keep a frog, baby. You can look at them for as long as you want too, though."

Roux pointed her finger towards another one. "Kevin could have a buddy..."

"You're Kevin's buddy." Rebecca said tickling her.

Roux just laughed, then suddenly, she rests her little head on Rebecca's shoulder, nuzzling her neck. Rebecca closed her eyes with a smile and pressed Roux closer. "I love you mama."

"I love you the most, Roux bear." Rebecca said letting her smile fall.

She then swallowed and opened her eyes. Standing there, in that small moment, holding her daughter in her arms, and looking out in the night sky, made Rebecca feel a pang of guilt for everything that she had done.

She was fifteen when she screwed her life up, and she never has had a chance to completely fix it. She was walking home from school, when suddenly someone came up behind her. She turned around freaked out, only to realize it one of her neighbors son. She gave him a warm smile and the two went to his backyard to hang out.

It was a fun evening, really. Rebecca laughed and they had a good time together...until his older brother showed up drunk. Her friend tried to get him inside, but he couldn't do anything.

Rebecca sat there and watched as he punched his brother around before she finally had enough. She picked up a flower pot and went up to him taking a swing.

She didn't realize how hard she was hitting him, until she hit him in the head too hard...and he went crashing to the ground. She panicked when she saw the blood pooling from his head, so she ran off.

She never meant to hurt anyone—or kill anyone—, she just wanted to protect her friend. That's all she's ever wanted to do. Protect the ones she loves.

When she killed Manny in New York she knew it would end up eating her alive, but she had to get him away from Ashley. Since then, she's been trying to get rid of all the problems in her life, but now she's starting to wonder, what was it all for?

She finally had the life she had always dreamed of, being in a healthy relationship and being a mother. But the effects that come with this is taking the life's of "bad" people. The whole reason for them leaving America was to protect the one in her arms...and here her husband was putting two of their close friends in a cage.

Rebecca blinked when she heard a text come from her phone. She wiped the tears away that had formed, and smiled at her daughter. "I'm gonna let you sit in the car and watch Bluey okay?" Roux nodded, and when Rebecca finally got her back into their car—and put into her car seat, she walked inside.

When she walked in she saw the cage lit up in the middle, with Elena and Theo—still unconscious—inside. "Okay, good. They're still out."

Colby nodded and took a deep breath. "Yeah. I'm going to get Theo's car and put it in the storage unit next to this one." He said grabbing his phone from the table. "You lock them up and I'll be back."

Rebecca nodded and swallowed her feelings. She didn't need to think about what could have been...because this is their life, and if they weren't on the same page, their lives could be in immediate danger.