Chapter 47

Rebecca laid her head back on the couch, and propped her foot up on their coffee table. She hated how awkward it was around her own home, and it was starting to drive her crazy—even though it had only just begun.

Jonathan sighed as he sat back down on the couch with the remote in his hand. "So," He asked putting the tv on Bluey. "I can't help but notice you and Colby seem a little...off—"

Jon!" Renee said from the patio door. She had just brought Kevin back inside. "It's none of your business." She mouthed, trying not to get Rebecca's attention.

She had noticed though, and only sighed. "Guys, it's okay." She said taking a breath. "We're just...taking a break, that's all."

Jonathan laughed. "Yeah right."

Renee furrowed her eyebrows. "Can I ask why? You two have always been so...inseparable."

Rebecca pressed her lips together in a small smile. "Yeah, I know." She then looked over at Roux to make sure she wasn't paying attention, and thankfully, Bluey was keeping her occupied. "Our stalker threatened me. He said if I didn't stay away from Colby he would hurt..." She then pointed towards Roux.

Renee put her hand over her mouth while Jonathan just blinked. "She's always with you guys...how would he hurt her if we're always together?"

Rebecca glared up at him. "I'm not risking it."

Jonathan gave her a glare back. "And why not? It's never stopped you before."

Rebecca took a deep breath and sighed. "Times are different now. I'm different now."

Renee came over and sat on the other side of Rebecca. "Don't pressure her Jon. If this is what you feel like is the best Becks, you have to stick with your gut."

Rebecca nodded. "Yeah...that's what I'm trying to do."

Jonathan furrowed his eyebrows. "So what do we do now? Just sit around and not do anything about this guy?"

Rebecca closed her eyes. "I don't know, Jon. I don't know what to do. Every time we think we're getting closer to catching him, he's always one step ahead."

Renee chimed in. "And after last night, after seeing what's he's capable of..." She said trailing off.

Jonathan swallowed. "I just want to find out who it is..." He said making Renee and Rebecca both look at him. "Who could be capable of doing this to you guys, to your friends."

The room fell quiet. Questions Rebecca had been asking for months were whirling through her head. She sighed, "I don't know..." She then leaned up to grab the ice pack, but Jonathan protested. "I need to get stuff done."

Jonathan stood up and grabbed a blanket from the other couch. "Nah. You ladies are going to relax on the couch while I clean everything else up. Then I'll play with Roux so you guys don't have to watch Bluey."

Renee and Rebecca looked at each other before glaring up at him. "We're capable of doing things ourselves ya know—"

"Trust me, I am one hundred percent sure of that. But you ladies had a rough night...take a break." He said walking away before they could say anything else.

Meanwhile, Joseph and Colby had just parked the car on the outside of the storage building. The drive there was quiet—except for Joseph telling him how awkward he was making it with Rebecca. Colby stepped out of the car and grabbed the food from the backseat. "I've not seen them in a few days so I don't know how they're going to act."

Joseph followed him to the door. "Hopefully they're not dead." He said, making Colby glare at him. "What?"

Colby just shook his head as he unlocked the door. He rolled it opened and went inside. On the left, he turned on the lights. When Joseph was in, he closed the door behind him, and his attention was brought to the glass cage in the middle of the room. "Just like old times, huh?"

Colby followed his gaze. "Yeah I guess so." He then pressed his lips together into a firm smile. "Hello, you two." He said stepping closer. "What have—oh my god—"

Joseph and Colby stared down at the gun laying in the middle of the cage. Elena and Theo just looked at them. "Your wife gave it to us." Elena said sleepily.

Colby shook his head in half anger and half disbelief. "And why would she give this to you?!"

Theo chuckled and leaned his head back on the cage wall. "Because we wanted out. She said if one of us shot the other one, she'd free us. We both said no, so she sat it in the window and said, "fine, stay together, die together. You choose." Then she left." Theo said with a smile. "Left us for almost four days without food—"

Colby then shook the bag. "I brought you food." He put the code in and unlocked the window. He placed the bag inside. "So, I'm guessing since the gun is just lying there, neither one of you have decided to shoot the other, correct?"

Theo rolled his eyes. "Yes, we've not shot it..." He then smirked. "Doesn't mean we won't shoot you, though."

Colby laughed. "You can try, but this cage is fiberglass. It's bulletproof. You shoot the glass, it reflects the bullet."

"Have you tried it out?" Elena asked.

"Have you?" Colby retorted with a roll of his eyes.

Elena and Theo rummaged through the bag, completely ignoring his question. Joseph stepped up and watched the two eat. "Elena, Theo, this is Joseph, by the way. He's a friend of ours."

The two looked up at them with disgust. "Glad you found one." Elena said swallowing her food. "Let's hope he doesn't end up in here either."

Joseph chuckled. "Trust me, sweetheart. I won't."