Chapter 26

The duo spent the night in bliss, and when they awoke the next morning, neither one of them wanted to leave the bed. Colby was the first one to stir. He rolled over and wrapped his arms around Rebecca, pressing her naked body to his. "How are you feeling?"

Rebecca smiled, and pressed a kiss to his lips. "Sore. But in the best way." She kissed him a second time. "We have time for another round..." She whispered. Colby smirked then moved his hands up to cup her face, but a ringing phone made him stop. "Is that mine?" Rebecca asked turning over to her nightstand.

Once she found her phone she realized is wasn't hers, and turned her head towards her sighing husband. He picked it up and answered. "Hello?"

He heard a sniffle from the other side. "Colby?" He heard Madelyn say. "Are you up?"

Colby looked at his wife. "I am now..." He then chuckled. "Is everything okay?"

Madelyn took a deep breath. "No..." She whispered.

Colby furrowed his eyebrows. He then saw a flashing blue light from their window. Rebecca glanced at him before glancing at the window, and the duo immediately got up to put their pj's back on.

Once they were dressed, they moved over to the window to see reporters and police officers standing outside of Madelyn's house, and there were three cop cars pulled up in her driveway. "Madelyn what's going on?" Colby asked worriedly.

She sniffled again with a small sob. "Adam's dead." She then took a deep breath. "I got something in the mail last Tuesday saying he was camping out, and there was a weird address at the bottom of the letter. I called the cops and they went to investigate the location."

Colby's heart sped up the more she spoke. "They found him buried down south on Thursday, then took his body to examine it. He was murdered..." He heard her swallow. "Brutally murdered."

Colby closed his eyes and sighed, making Rebecca look up at him. "Oh my god, Madelyn." He said shaking his head. "I'm sorry to hear that."

She then started crying. "I don't know who could have done this. He's done some questionable things but he didn't deserve to die." She then took another breath. "I just feel terrible, Colby. He's been dead for two months now and I thought he was on vacation. I'm such an idiot."

In the distance, Colby could hear footsteps running towards their room. Roux knocked on their door making Rebecca and Colby turn around. "Mama?" She said in a scared voice.

Rebecca immediately moved and went to the door. She unlocked it and opened it up, picking up her daughter. "Mamas right here, baby." Rebecca whispered kissing her cheek. She had Roux in her good arm, then with the other she closed the door to leave Colby on the phone.

"Are you still there?" Madelyn asked in a whisper.

Colby moved his eyes from the door back to the window. "Yeah I'm here. And you're not an idiot Madelyn. You had no idea...none of us did."

"I don't know what to do..." She then started crying again.

God what have I done?! Colby thought closing the curtains. I've ruined her life...she don't deserve that. "Madelyn I'm so sorry..."

"I'm just going to need some time." She shook her head and sighed. "Are you going to be okay if I don't come in for the week?"

Colby swore to himself. I forgot all about work. "Yeah of course! Take as much time as you need. I'll keep it under control."

Madelyn nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course. If you need anything call me okay?" He said rubbing his eyes.

"Okay i will. Thank you for being here, Colby. It means a lot." She said in a whisper.

Oh god..."Of course. Bye Madelyn." He then hung up and threw the phone on the bed. He then ran his hands through his hair. What have I done? They're going to figure out I did it then I'm going to end up in jail again. Oh my god WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

"Colby?" Rebecca asked opening the door. "Roux is eating breakfast and watching tv. What happened?" Rebecca asked coming up to him.

He shook his head. "They found Adam."

Rebecca froze. "Please tell me your joking?!" She said crossing her arms. "Oh my god, Colby! Please tell me you're lying!"

"Why would I lie about that!" He said putting his hands on his hips. He then took a deep breath and rubbed his eyes. "They know he was murdered."

Rebecca shook her head and looked down at the floor, trying to take it all in. "But they don't know anything else right?"

Colby shrugged. "I hope not. But his body was..."

Rebecca cringed. "Stop. They aren't going to figure out what he was crushed by. There's no possible way..."

Colby then swallowed. "She also said something else." He moved closer to her. "She was sent a letter in the mail with his location. Now tell me, besides you, who knew about me killing him?"

Rebecca shook her head in disbelief. "There's no way..." She then froze as she thought about it. "The stalker sent her the letter."

Colby nodded slowly, and Rebecca closed her eyes. "Oh my god, Colby." She said raising her hands to her head. She then ran her hands through her hair. "If he's hacked into our security system we're screwed."

Colby then bit his tongue. "I have a feeling we're already screwed."