Chapter 44

Colby was on the couch opposite of Joseph, staring up at the ceiling. He wanted so badly to go back upstairs and screw this crazy idea out of Rebecca's mind, but he knew she wouldn't agree. Why, though, is something that's been through his head a million times. Why would she do this? Why is she pushing me away?

"Hey man," Joseph whispered out. "What are you doing down here?"

Colby closed his eyes. "Becks said she needed some space."

Joseph turned over and furrowed his eyebrows. "From you? He must have messed her up pretty bad."

Colby scoffed. "Yeah...tell me about it."

Joseph tilted his head. "Now what's with the attitude? It's just one night man."

Colby chuckled and ran a hand over his eyes. "Nah it's going to be more than one night." He said in a near whisper. "She wants space as a whole..."

Joseph stayed quiet, then laid back on his arm. "Dang, man. Im sorry."

Colby shook his head. "Apparently the dude threatened her. He wants us to break up so that's what she's doing."

Joseph blinked a few times. "Who did he threaten? Because I've never seen Becks back down from someone like that."

Colby swallowed. "Roux." He said. "He threatened Roux." He shook his head again. "He said she would be his next target."

Joseph sighed. "She's just doing what she feels is going to protect her daughter, man. And she still loves you...you know that wasn't easy for her to do." He looked over at him. "I mean, come on...did you see how she clung to you when she saw you tonight? That's all she needed. You were all she needed. Don't be so hard on yourself, she'll still be around."

Colby gave him a soft smile, although he couldn't really see it in the dark. "I mean, I know she'll always be around. But it's just the fact we can't get close, ya know? Like I can't hug her. I can't kiss her. We can't even laugh with one another, or text, and tell each other how much we love each other ." Colby said shaking his head frustrated. "I can't be around my wife, Joe. It's just...I don't know, man."

Joseph sighed. "I don't think you know either, dude. And I think you're overreacting, maybe—just a little—"

"Overreacting?" Colby interrupted. "I'm not overreacting—"

"Look dude, sure, you're not going to be able to make love for a while, but at least you still have her." He said glaring at him. "It could be a whole lot worse. She could've left the house, and taken Roux with her, leaving you here with us and your girls away from home."

Colby pressed his lips together and sighed. "I'm tired." He said turning over and facing the back of the couch.

Joseph laughed. "Yeah, tired of me being right."

Colby took a deep breath and tried to think of something else to talk about, "Uhm, how's everyone back home?" He asked turning back around. "Did Leah finally lock it in with that one dude?"

Joseph laughed and ran a hand over his head. "I know you're not going to believe this, but yeah she did. They're married now actually."

Colby gasped. "You're joking..." He then laughed. "Well good for her." He swallowed, and finally asked the question he had been avoiding since the three arrived. "How's mom doing?

Joseph took a deep breath. "Not too good, man." He said with a shake of his head. "It probably wouldn't be so bad on her if she knew you guys was alive. She's not been out of her house since the incident...and I don't think she plans on it anytime soon."

Colby closed his eyes. "I wish I could see her again...I wish she could see Roux and Becks again." He then sighed. "She loved them just as much as she loved me."

Joseph looked over at him and watched how quiet he became. He knew talking about his mother was a sensitive subject for him. He watched as Colby turned around and faced the couch again, and this time, he never turned back around.

Rebecca stared up at the ceiling with tears streaming down her face. It was two a.m., and she still hadn't fell asleep. She thought maybe the dark room would help, but she knew the real reason. Colby wasn't beside of her.

She tossed and turned, trying to think of anything other than what had happened tonight. Her foot was sore, so sore she didn't think she would be able to sleep without it throbbing. She sat up and ran her hands through her hair. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her phone buzzed, so she sighed and crawled over to her side of the night stand to look at it.

It was a message. From the most hated person in the world. "Thank you for listening to me, princess."

Rebecca almost crushed the phone in her hands. "How are you still alive? You fell from the church tower?" She typed out.

She saw the dots pop up. "I have my ways...maybe that wasn't me. Maybe you're not the only ones with backup."

Rebecca closed her eyes again and slammed her phone down on the bed. She then felt the bed vibrate. She hesitantly picked up the phone, and pressed it to her ear. "Haven't you done enough?! Leave us alone!"

She heard him chuckle. "Don't worry, Red. You listened to me, so I'm going to keep my end of the bargain."

Rebecca bit her lip and let another tear fall. "I know you're sad...but would you risk that little girls life just so you and Colby can live happily ever after together? Your a mother now, Rebecca. Now you can actually be one, because you're not coming after me."

Rebecca swallowed. "You keep splitting my family apart and I will."

He laughed again. "Wipe those tears, honey. Lay back and go to sleep, forget about Colby, and let that foot heal up."

Rebecca shook her head. "Screw you." She hung up the phone and tossed it aside.