Chapter 28

While Colby went into work the next day, Rebecca stayed home and was finally able to catch up on some house work. Ever since the stalker broke into their home, she completely forgot about the responsibilities that came with being a wife and a mother. So, after waking up and fixing breakfast for the three, she sat Roux in the living room to keep her out of the way, then started cleaning.

Colby though, went into work and expected to be working by himself, but he saw Madelyn stacking books up in a corner. He furrowed his eyebrows as he sat his keys down behind the counter, then walked over to her. "Madelyn?" When she looked up at him, he stuffed his hands in his pockets. "What are you doing here? I thought you were taking off for the rest of the week."

Madelyn pressed her lips together and stood up. "I thought I was too, but when I woke up this morning I didn't want to be in that house any longer." She grabbed another stack of books from a nearby cart. "Being alone in a house for days with millions of thoughts going through your head is...terrifying."

Colby grabbed some books off the cart to help her. "Yeah I couldn't imagine." Maybe if you hadn't lost your temper, she wouldn't have to be in that house alone. "Are you feeling okay?"

Madelyn shrugged. "Better than I was." She then turned around and looked at him. "Just wish I got to say goodbye."

Colby swallowed down his guilt. "I'm sorry, Madelyn." He then sighed and motioned towards the front desk. "Uhm, if you need anything let me know. I'm gonna start tagging the returned books up front."

Madelyn nodded and continued stacking the books, while Colby just walked to the counter, trying to ignore the obnoxious regret.

When Friday finally rolled around, Rebecca woke up early and headed to the grocery store to get ingredients for the dinner. She hadn't exactly planned out a big course meal, but she was hoping Elena would be pleased with her cooking.

Once she got all of the ingredients she went home and started making the dinner. Colby was at work, so Roux was playing with Kevin in the living room. Rebecca smiled as she watched from the kitchen. "Hey Roux bear, do you want some strawberries?"

Roux jumped up and waddled to the kitchen. "Juicy!"

Rebecca handed her one, and watched as she ate it happily. "Do you want some in a bowl?"

Roux nodded. "Yes please."

She reached her tiny arms out and waited for her mother to give her the bowl. "There you go sweetheart."

Roux smiled as she grabbed the bowl. "Thanks mama!"

Rebecca then turned her attention back to the food as Roux walked off towards the living room. She started prepping the steak when her phone started ringing.

Since her husband was at work, she immediately picked up with a smile. "Hi honey!"

She heard a chuckle on the other end. "Hi, Becks. Whatcha up to?"

Rebecca sighed. "Im working on dinner for tonight. Do you think steak will be okay?"

"I think it will be. What are you gonna eat though?"

Rebecca shrugged. "Im gonna fix other stuff too, so I'll be okay. Plus Roux won't eat anything so I'll be fixing a lot of different stuff."

"Are you excited?"

Rebecca then furrowed her eyebrows. "Excited for what?" She asked with a laugh.

She heard a clicking noise, then static. "Colby? Rebecca then heard another chuckle. "This isn't Colby is it?"

She heard that all too familiar voice again. "Nope...guess again."

Rebecca glanced back at Roux then lowered her voice. "What do you think you're doing?"

The man laughed and breathed heavily into the phone. "Im plotting, clearly. How does it feel to know I can adjust this voice piece into anyone you know?"

Rebecca bit her lip. "You're insane..."

He then laughed again. "I was never sane to begin with." He said in a female voice. "Do you remember telling Leighla that?"

Rebecca swallowed. "What do you want?"

"Why do you ask that same question? What do you want?" He then sighed. "I've already told you what I want." She heard a car start up in the background. "Madelyn left a few minutes ago...Colby is stacking books up, and guess what? The Library is empty. I could set the place on fire...."

Rebecca's heart sped up. "If you—"

"Or maybe...since he's here all alone, I can stop by and visit my favorite three year old." He said with a wicked smile. "Colby won't get there in enough time to save you two...and you're incapable of keeping Roux safe with that arm in a sling."

"You're bluffing." She said with a shake of her head. "You're only saying that to scare me. There's police and reporters all around, you wouldn't dare to come near us."

The man only laughed. "That's the thing though, they left the other evening. You can't trick me, Rebecca. I have eyes everywhere." He paused for a moment, and Rebecca took that chance to go get her daughter and make sure she was close by. "You're in for treat tonight. I left Elena a present on her front porch. She'll tell you all about it tonight."

Rebecca shook her head. "If you hurt her..."

"Im not going to be the one to hurt her. It will be you." He said hanging up the phone.