Chapter 21

Once they arrived at the hospital, they were immediately taken back to be seen. Since Rebecca arrived first, she was supposed to be seen first, but Colby insisted on being back there with her, so now they were in a big medical room together.

Colby sat in a chair and watched everything the doctor done to his wife while a nurse stitched up the side of his head. The doctor had her move on an exam table, where he could take X-Rays, and when he was done, he slowly touched her arm. "You two are very lucky to be alive." The nurse said as she finished the last stitch. "Lucky to not be that injured as well."

Colby gave her a small smile. "Yeah..."

She then finished, and threw her trash in a bin. "There's officers outside of the room waiting for a statement. Whenever Doctor Reeves is finished with your wife they'll be in to talk."

Colby nodded and watched as she opened the door. "Thank you."

"No problem." She said leaving the room.

He then turned his attention back over to his wife, who was wincing as the doctor examined her arm. "The X-Ray didn't show any other broken bones, thankfully. I'm going to give you a sling to wear for a few weeks or so. You're knee is just really bad bruised, so applying ice should help get rid of the soreness." The doctor said with a smile. "An officer should be in here in a few minutes to get a statement."

Rebecca nodded as he handed her a sling. "Thank you so much."

"No problem. If you have any problems contact the office and let me know." He said before walking out of the room.

Rebecca slowly got down off of the exam table, and made her way over to a seat next to Colby. "Are you okay?" He said patting her good knee.

Rebecca nodded. "Yeah he told me to wear this and to ice my knee."

Colby then intertwined his hand with hers. "I'm sorry..." He whispered with tears in his eyes. "This could have been so much worse."

Rebecca rubbed her thumb over his. "It could have, but I'm okay. And so are you..." She said with a small smile. "Sure you may have lost your car, but we're alive so that's all that matters."

Colby brought her hand up to his mouth and kissed it. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." Rebecca said leaning over and kissing his cheek.

A few moments later, an officer came into the room with the sheriff. They asked them basic questions first. Where they were from, what they were doing and etc.
"So do either one of you know the man that called?"

Rebecca bit her tongue and looked at Colby. "No we have no clue. We're pretty sure that he was the one who hijacked the car though."

The officer nodded and wrote some stuff down on his paper. "So you said you were coming from a friends house correct?" When Rebecca nodded he continued. "Did they have security systems outside that we could check?"

Colby looked towards Rebecca and shrugged. I hadn't even thought about that... "To be honest, I'm really not for sure."

He nodded again before looking at Rebecca. "Do you have anyone you can call to come pick you both up? If not, I can take you home, or somewhere safe for the night?"

Rebecca smiled. "We do, actually, but I've not been able to get a hold of her." Rebecca then pulled out her broken phone. "Her name is Elena. She's currently babysitting our three year old."

"And how long ago did you text her? Does she know you've been in a wreck?" He asked.

Colby squeezed Rebecca's knee. "I texted her right before the wreck...I have no clue."

The officer nodded and grabbed his com. "What's the number?"

Rebecca told him the number and watched as he left the room once again. She then placed a worried hand into Colby's. "Do you think—"

"No." He said shaking his head. "He wouldn't go after Roux..."

Rebecca squeezed his hand. "What if he did though?!"

Colby closed his eyes. "He wouldn't. He only tells us that to scare us." He then shook his head again. "Besides if he did show up, Elena wouldn't let him in the house."

Rebecca chewed her bottom lip. "He could have broke in like he did before. If he can blow up our car he can surely—"

Colby grabbed her face and made her look at him. "Stop overthinking...He didn't do anything. Elena is more than likely putting her to bed."

The officer came in the room. "We got a hold of Elena. She was giving your daughter a bath, then read her a bedtime story. She apologizes for not answering the messages. I told her you both were in a accident and we're currently at France City Hospital." He then pulled out his keys. "If you two will follow me, I'll take you home."

Colby stood up and shook the officers hand. "Thank you, man. And thank you for helping us."

"It's my pleasure." He said opening the door. Colby helped Rebecca up and held her hand as they followed the cop.

Rebecca couldn't help thinking back to the accident though. They could've died, and moreover, they should have. The stalker was upping the game, which meant they needed to as well. And after tonight, she was willing to do anything to keep them safe.