Kabanata 36

Kulang nalang ay himatayin ako sa kaba ng makaupo ako sa kanang upuan katabi ng kabisera. Mariin ang titig niya sakin at tila pinapanood ang bawat galaw ko.

Anna Felicia Montecarlo is known to be refined, well-dressed, and a social butterfly. She did modeling when she was a teenager and I heard she stopped when she got married to the sole heir of the Montecarlo clan in his prime years. She hosted various charity events, establishing connections to the media and the rich families from the nearby provinces to support her outreach projects.

Rico's mother is just and kind, who will not judge a person because of his or her family history, economic status, but rather his or her personality.

"I heard you are a graduating student in San Vicente University, right?" She asked with her soothing voice.

"Y-yes ma'am. Awa ho ng diyos at makakaraos na." Hilaw ang ngisi ko ng sumagot sa ginang

"That's good. You are one of our scholars, too. Sister Flora is so proud of you that she often tells me stories about you and your good grades in school whenever we visit Angel Haven. That's good." Her lips though are on a thin line

"T-thank you po ma'am. Kung hindi ho ako nabigyan ng scholarship.. hindi ko ho alam kung makakapagtapos ako."

"I doubt that hija. You are an achiever. You see to it that if you want something, you will do everything in your power to have it. You even have a part time job for your source of income, yes?" She raised her brow and my lips parted as I don't know how to respond to her statement. Tila iba ang kahulugan noon sa akin.

"Even if you don't qualify now to our scholarship program, I'm sure.. my son would do something about it. After all, you are now working in MECS. I wonder if it has something to do with you.. living with him." She shrugged her shoulders and took a sip on her coffee in the most elegant way.

Labis ang paghuhuramentado ng puso ko at pinaglalaruan ko nalang ang singsing ko para lang mapirmi ang mga kamay ko. Pilit ko ring tinutuwid ang likod ko kahit hindi sumasandal.

Alam niyang nakikitira ako kay Rico. Imposible din naman kung hindi. Tutol ba siya? Paaalisin niya ba ako?

She shifted her weight and gave her full attention to me "I have no problem with whatever relationship you have with my son, Ms. Silverio. My husband, doesn't seem to mind the idea as well. He may have his own observations but he is not the person to voice out his opinions. He trust our son so much that he believed our major projects overseas will be in good hands despite of.. what happens to the two of you. It's just that.. I'm getting worried."

"You are still young, and I'm sure.. that you have set your priorities, especially your plans after your graduation, so I think.. it would be best for you to focus on what matters the most. Would you agree?"

Natigalgal ako at hindi makaimik. Ni tango ay hindi ko magawa at halos magdugo na ang labi ko sa kakakagat. Napatingin siya sa daliri kong kong may iniikot ikot na singsing at napabuntong hininga siya. Agad ko itong tinakpan ng kanang palad ko.

"I'm sure that if you two are destined for each other, then nothing should be.. rushed nor forced. If it's meant to be, I'm sure it will be." Muli niyang kinuha ang tasa ng kape at maimis na sumimsim doon.

"But right now, is maybe not the right time. I think you are clouding my son's mind. If he is with you, he is willing to set aside all his responsibilities, his job for that matter, just so he can be with you. I don't think that's the type of relationship you deserve, right? You two deserve to grow and achieve many things in life. You deserve a relationship, that is willing to sacrifice, to aim for professional and spiritual growth, and not disregard important matters just for selfish reasons."