Chapter 12

Wei Wuxian was awake before Wangji. It was very rare for him to be up this early. He was just woken by a nightmare. Dreaming about the things that his future son has told him so far. He dreamt of his golden core being cut out and he felt as if he could feel it. When he woke up, he sat there with his hand over his dantian. That warmth inside his body, he cannot imagine his life without it.

Would I be that selfless?

Would I be that low of myself to not consider my own life?

Why can I see myself doing such a thing but at the same time, I do not?

Protect them with his life, that was always what the Jiang's would say to him. He would always be told by Yu Ziyuan that he was to be Jiang Cheng's subordinate, his second, his servant. He was always told that he was worthless, a son of a servant, a bastard. It would be worse and she would make Jiang Cheng feel miserable too, always comparing him to Wei Wuxian. Yu Ziyuan even compared herself to Wei Wuxian's mother, how his mother was always so talented and she didn't live in a prominent family from a sect. Wuxian's mother was a rogue cultivator and disciple to Baoshan Sanren.

Wei Wuxian always hated when Yu Ziyuan believed rumors that Wei Wuxian was Jiang Fengmian and Cangse Sanren's bastard. It was so ridiculous and it always upset him. She would degrade his parents along with himself.

Never again will you berate me or my parents. Never again will I let you insult my parents legacy by spewing nonsense. Never again will I let them walk all over me. Lan Zhan and his family are right, I do not owe them anything. I do not live with them anymore. If something happens to them, it is not on me to fix it. They are more than capable of protecting themselves and is Jiang Cheng loses his golden core, I will not give up mine to save him. He is just as selfish as his mother. No more!

Wei Wuxian sat up in the bed and sat in lotus position. It was a few hours before it was actually time to wake, so he decided to meditate for those few hours. It was the first time he really sat down and focused on himself, to breathe and focus on his mind, his body, and his energy. He sat there feeling that spiritual power in his body flow calmly through his body and his veins.

Lan Wangji woke a couple hours later to see Wuxian meditating. He was honestly surprised. Wangji knows that Wuxian doesn't do well sitting still or meditating, so to see him like this now, it was a bit shocking. Wangji was proud of him though. So proud that he decided to join him for his morning hour meditation.

When Wangji came to after his meditation, Wuxian was still under. So Wangji gently brushed the back of his hand against Wuxian's cheek. Wangji only now noticed how soft and warm Wuxian's skin was. It was something he will always remember the feeling of.

"Wei Ying, my love?" He said calmly, "can you come back to me?"

Wei Wuxian's eyes opened. His silver eyes meeting a golden pair of eyes. Wuxian smiled as he held Wangji's hand that was against his face, and smiled.

"Mnn, I am here," Wuxian replied softly.

"How long have you been meditating?" Wangji asked.

"Ugh...a few hours maybe," Wuxian replied, "I woke up early from a bad dream and couldn't sleep. My mind was just so messy so I decided to try and meditate. I guess it worked. I feel better to be honest."

Wangji smiled, "I am glad it helped...did you want to tell me about your dream?" He asked concerned.

"It was about my golden core," Wuxian answered, "when I woke up, I started to think about some things and it became overbearing so I started meditating."

"What were you thinking about?" Wangji asked.

"I was thinking about my life with the Jiang's and I was telling myself, no more. If my parents were alive today they would tell me, no matter how kind you are, there are always going to people to feed off it for their own benefits and when they lose it, it is on them. As I left the sect, I am not responsible for helping them anymore. I told myself if Jiang Cheng loses his core it is not my responsibility to help fix it. I have my own life and I should be selfish every once in a while. I noticed that everything that the boys have been telling us is that I am suffering from something, and it revolves around the Jiang's," Wuxian explained.

Wangji smiled and pulled him to his lap, "As you left, you do not have any responsibility to them. You are right, you have to be selfish sometimes, and sometimes it has to be for the right reasons. I have noticed that the Jiang's have been the reason you have suffered in some way. You put yourself in danger so many times from what the boys have said and it involves the Jiang's being the reason for it," he added.

Wuxian smiled, "if anything, I would be happy to help you and my new family."

Wangji smiled lightly back at him, "I know you will. We will do that together. You do not and will not have to fight alone. You have me, you have my brother, father, and even my uncle. You got my uncle to like you."

"I didn't really do anything though, but I will take it," Wuxian said, "I didn't do any of the things yet that the boys have said. If he is comparing me to my mother, maybe I can sit with him at some point and really talk to me. If he has concerns about me, I feel like I can sit down and try to work them out. To be honest, he doesn't scare me like Madam Yu does and I respect him a lot. Gaining his approval is honestly all I want."

"I think you have but Shufu is someone who is always willing to sit down to discuss things. That is just how he is. Yes he is strict but he spent a long time running the sect and raising my brother and me, and teaching. He was not meant to really run the sect. Father was. Shufu wanted to teach, and he worked hard for that. Father was someone who did better with running the sect," Wangji explained.

"I had that impression in a way," Wuxian said and sighed, "as much as I love sitting here and talking to you all day, we should probably get ready for today. Get to breakfast and then hear more about what the boys have to say."

Wangji nodded, "I agree."

"By the way, I didn't know I could conceive children until I met Sizhui. If we...you know...we should probably take precautions first," Wuxian told him.

Wangji smiled, "we will talk about that further," he said, "we only just started courting and the engagement was also just approved. Trust me, I would like to, but holding and kissing you is enough for me for now."

Wuxian giggled, "I will remember that," he said, "but it should be something to discuss later...also Sizhui looks a lot like you."

"He has your eyes though," Wangji told him.

"We will make that," he said playfully. Wangji shook his head and went to go get ready for the day. Wuxian giggled and went to do the same.