Chapter 37

Wei Wuxian had a hard time sleeping the past few nights. Wangji had to make sure he was holding him tightly from dusk until dawn. It was noticeable that Wuxian does better when Wangji is holding him. When Wuxian rolls in his sleep and moves away from Wangji, that is when he starts to get his nightmares.

It was morning and Wangji was up. He was holding Wuxian close to him and he honestly didn't mind it either. He loved holding him and comforting him, keeping him safe. Wangji was accustomed to his normal waking routine so even if he only had a few hours, he would still wake up at his normal time. He didn't really feel all that tired though either. Wuxian only had one moment last night and after calming him down, Wuxian went right back to sleep.

Wangji was laying comfortably as Wuxian was draped over him. Wuxian's head was laying on Wangji's chest and his arms were clinging tightly onto Wangji's night robes. Wangji had his arms wrapped around Wuxian, one hand resting on the small of Wuxian's back and the other was on the back of Wuxian's head. He lightly rubbed his fingers through Wuxian's hair and was humming a calming tune.

"Lan Zhan?" Wuxian asked.

"Hmm?" Wangji replied.

"I am sorry that I keep waking you up every night," Wuxian told him.

"It is alright, Wei Ying," Wangji said calmly, "I do not mind."

"Are you tired still?" Wuxian asked.

"No, I'm just relaxing here with you. I wanted to keep holding you while you slept. This is also very comfortable," Wangji told him.

"Mnn, you are so cozy," Wuxian said as he nuzzled his face further into Wangji's chest, moving his face within his robes.

Wangji cooed at how cute Wuxian was being, "Wei Ying is being cute."

Wuxian lifted his head up, "cute?!" He asked, "I am not cute."

Wangji chuckled, "yes you are," he said and carefully sat up. He helped Wuxian sit up as well. The way Wuxian was sitting, he was straddling Wangji's lap.

"Fine, if I am cute then you are adorable," Wuxian argued.

"Ridiculous," Wangji said as he wrapped his arms around Wuxian's waist, "aren't you three? Isn't three year old XianXian supposed to be cute?"

"No," Wuxian answered and stuck out his bottom lip, "XianXian is getting hungry."

"Oh, well we should fix that, shouldn't we?" Wangji asked.

Wuxian nodded and wrapped his arms around Wangji's neck, "XianXian loves you."

"I love XianXian too," Wangji said and kissed him. After a few minutes of flirting and being playful, Wuxian and Wangji eventually managed to get up and dressed. The two then went to the main room where Xichen and Jingyi were, "good morning."

"Good morning Wangji, good morning A'Xian," Xichen greeted.

"Good morning," Wuxian replied, "how is everything?"

"So far everything is doing fine. Jingyi got a message from Sizhui saying that he and Jin Ling are at Lotus Pier. Jin Zixuan has more of his men there to help if Wen Chao decides to pay them a visit. Shufu said the sect is doing fine. He did send a few people to Lotus Pier but kept our strongest men back at the sect. He has more guards patrolling the perimeter of the sect," Xichen explained.

Wuxian sat down at the table where Xichen and Jingyi were. Wangji saw that Xichen had breakfast set aside for him and Wuxian so he brought Wuxian his breakfast, "here, eat," Wangji told him.

"Yes sir," Wuxian said childishly.

Xichen tilted his head and looked at Wangji for clarification, "what's with the playfulness this morning?"

"XianXian denies that he is cute," Wangji replied.

Xichen chuckled and shook his head, "I see," he said and looked at Wuxian who was eating silently, "are you not cute?"

Wuxian looked at Xichen and pointed to his food, "am I allowed to talk while I eat?" He asked.

"Yes, we are outside of Cloud Recesses so I think it's fine," Xichen replied.

Wuxian nodded, "and to answer your question, I am not."

"Yes you are," Wangji said quietly.

Wuxian began to pout again, "whatever."

Wangji glanced at him, "okay, okay, I will lighten up."

Wuxian looked up at Wangji, "it's fine."

Wangji didn't say anything more. He and Wuxian finished their breakfast and then sat down beside each other at the table, "Wei Ying, is something on your mind?" Wangji asked.

"Not really," he said, "I am just getting a bit...claustrophobic, I guess...I am not one who likes hiding but I know it's for the better. I am also still feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything that has happened so far. I'm just a bit worried."

"I know, and us hiding is only temporary. We will be back in Cloud Recesses soon enough," Wangji assured him, "if you want, you and I can go walk the perimeter and patrol around. It can get us out of the house for a bit."

"Are you sure we are safe here?" Wuxian asked.

"We are," Jingyi replied, "this is where A'Die hid in my present timeline. Though...he had Meng Yao with him."

"I was only told that he framed A'Xian for killing the Jin Heirs but why do I feel like there is more to it?" Xichen asked.

"Because there is," Jingyi said, "let me tell you. He killed Jin Zixuan and Jin Zixun and placed the blame on Wei Wuxian. He killed Chifeng Zun, he killed his father, he married his sister and had a child with her then killed his son, then killed her. It's a whole mess of things that he did...it was all because Jin Guangshan never set Jin Guangyao's Mother free. Also, he was constantly being humiliated and called son of a whore as he grew up."

Wuxian, Wangji, and Xichen sat there stunned as they soaked in all that information. They never expected that one man could do so much damage, "did he do all of that alone?" Wuxian asked.

"No, Xue Yang and Su She were helping him," Jingyi replied.

"Su She is now dead in this timeline and as for Xue Yang, we have yet to know his location," Wuxian said.

"Well, Xue Yang has a connection to someone related to you. His name was ugh...Xiao Xingchen, and he was a disciple of Baoshan Sanren. I guess Xiao Xingchen and his partner were trying to track Xue Yang for some time. It's a long story," Jingyi said.

"Xiao Xingchen?" Wuxian questioned, "he knew my mother?"

"It was said that your mother was his Shijie," Jingyi said, "so you called him Shishu."

Wuxian was now surprised that he could run into someone who not only knew his mother but also his grandmother, Baoshan, "thanks for letting me know," he said.

"You're welcome," Jingyi said, "I can tell you about his story later if you want."

"Maybe," Wuxian said, "who was his partner?"

"Song Lan," Jingyi answered, "their story is a bit tragic to be honest."

"Maybe I will hear about it someday, but I do not want to know about it at the moment," Wuxian said, "I have a feeling it's a long story."

"It is," Jingyi said.