Chapter 70

Wangji could feel Wuxian trembling. He saw the fear in the man's eyes. If Wuxian wasn't pregnant, he wouldn't have this reaction as he would want to fight these people, but he has another life to worry about and he fears more for his baby and husband more than he does for himself. Wangji has long since known of his husband's selfless behavior but right now, he has to be forced to be selfish to protect his baby.

Wangji and Wuxian had just settled into their room together at Baoshan's mountain. They noticed on the walls that there was some sort of charm enchanted onto it, "I have a privacy charm on your wall. It keeps the noises from traveling outside this room," she said entering their room, "you two are married. A'Ying might be pregnant but I have a feeling that you two are still quite proactive."

Wuxian giggled as it actually helped lighten the mood a bit, "you seem to know us very well then," he said.

"Believe me, when your mother first married your father, she stayed here on the mountain for a good while. I made that charm specifically for them...of course, they gave me a beautiful grandson out of it," she said.

Wuxian giggled, "it was still probably a bit difficult knowing that she was your daughter and still doing those things."

"I grew to ignore it," she said, "shortly after you were born she wanted to travel. I told her to come back whenever she wanted. I wish she brought you back to me before they went on that one final night hunt."

"I can't be mad at them for doing what they thought was right...but it's still a bit vague but I still think about that night. It was like I could see on my mother's face that she was scared about something...when I found out the Sect Leader Jiang was there when she died, I got so angry. He said that my father risked his life for him and my mother made him promise to protect me," Wuxian said.

"He didn't keep to that promise," Baoshan said, "the moment he took you in, he brought you into a slaughter house. He should have known that his wife would react in such a way. He should have contacted me. He has a way to do that. He could have gotten you out of there sooner."

"I was a ward for his children," Wuxian said, "I was named head disciple and the first job I was ever given was to protect his children with my life. I took it seriously, all up to the point where I took blame for some things to keep Jiang Cheng out of trouble. I was whipped with Zidian just for breaking a vase. I didn't break it. Jiang Cheng and I were playing and he said that he could get me in trouble whenever he wanted. He grabbed a nearby vase and dropped it on the floor. His mother came running and Jiang Cheng immediately said I was the one who broke it. He was smiling when he saw me take that whip. I was ten."

Lan Wangji was holding Wuxian's hand during that entire conversation. The more Wuxian spoke, the angrier he was becoming, "he was not your friend or brother at that point," Wangji said.

"What?" Wuxian asked.

"If he really was your brother or even just a friend, he would have never done anything like that," Wangji said, "those Jiangs!"

"They will pay for everything they did to my grandson," Baoshan said, "I want to have you sit down and tell me everything you endured. It will help me understand what happened and it will help me decide what to do when we face them."

"Okay," Wuxian said, "how can we do that when one of them is on the run?"

"She can't hide forever. Sooner or later they will come to know you went into hiding and they will try to make a move to get you to show yourself. We will be watching and waiting for them to make a move. Chifeng Zun and Zewu Jun already have forces being put together and patrolling around. Jin Zixuan has some people looking for his father's assassins as he knows what they look like and how to track them," Baoshan said, "for now, you two will stay here where it is safe and they cannot get to you."

"I just don't want anyone to get hurt," Wuxian said.

"Odds are, someone will, but that is just what happens when you are looking for criminals," Baoshan said and looked at Wangji, "I know you are probably a bit agitated after hearing some of your husband's stories but please stick close to him. He needs you, not just for protection but for comfort as well. You two are soul-bonds so you have a connection. It's a good time to learn more about it."

"I won't leave his side. Not unless you or one of the Wen Siblings is with him...but even then, I won't leave him," Wangji said with a determined expression.

"Good," Baoshan said, "now, how about we go sit outside. It is a nice day out and I'm sure you could use some fresh air. It will help if you are still dealing with some nausea."

"That does sound good...maybe something to eat?" Wuxian suggested.

"Of course," Baoshan said, "I will get something made for you and meet you outside."

"Okay," Wuxian said. Baoshan walked out of the room and Wuxian turned to Wangji, "Are you going to be okay? I know what I shared probably upset you."

"I am okay," Wangji said and pulled him into a hug, "never again, will the hurt you. I will be sure of that."

Wuxian giggled, "what will you do if someone tries?"

Wangji pulled back and placed his hands on Wuxian's shoulders, "they might lose a body part or two."

Wuxian laughed harder, "oh really? I didn't know you were in to decapitation."

"Only when you are involved and need to be protected," Wangji said, "I will not hesitate to hurt anyone who tried to harm you."

"I don't doubt you," Wuxian said, "can we head outside?"

Wangji smiled and placed a kiss on Wuxian's forehead, "Mnn, we can go out now."

"I love you, Lan Zhan," Wuxian said.

"I love you too, Wei Ying," Wangji replied.