Chapter 47

The next day for the conference meeting, Wei Wuxian wore a set of his new GusuLan robes. It was going to send a message that he was now a part of the Lan Sect and he has no relations with the Jiang Sect. As he entered the main hall with Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian saw that Jiang Yanli was with her fiancé and not with her parents. Out of the Jiang's, Jiang Yanli was probably the only person Wuxian would remain in contact with.

Jiang Yanli was engaged with Jin Zixuan. She spent most of her time with him after the juniors revealed the future. Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan have actually grown feelings for one another and wish to have Jin Ling again one day. Wuxian smiled knowing that Sizhui would still have his soulmate in the future.

"Lan Zhan, can we go speak with Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli for a moment?" Wuxian asked.

"Mnn," Wangji nodded. Lan Xichen also nodded as he went to go greet Chifeng Zun.

Wuxian smiled as he approached Ziyuan and Yanli, "Jin Zixuan," Wuxian greeted.

"Wei Wuxian, Lan er Gongzi," Jin Zixuan greeted back.

"A'Xian, it's good to see you. You look so happy and healthy," Yanli said.

"Shijie, you are the only Jiang who ever treated me kindly," Wuxian said, "I am sorry for the way we parted."

"I understand," Yanli said, "and I may be the product of my parents but I will never be them. I want to have my children grow up happy and healthy and be willing to come me or Zixuan when they need us."

"That is good to hear," Wuxian said, "though it may some time, and they can always change their minds but did you want to arrange for them to marry in the future someday, Sizhui and Jin Ling?"

"I do not see why not," Yanli said, "they were married before and I'd hate to separate a good marriage. If it's what they want, I will be happy to accept it."

"Good," Wuxian said, "oh, Lan Zhan and I are marrying in about six months. We will be announcing it today and then we will send out invitations."

"I hope you will have me," Yanli said.

"Of course," Wuxian said, "I also hope I can attend your wedding too."

"I will make sure of it," Yanli said.

"I will make sure that you are there," Jin Zixuan told him.

"Good," Wuxian said, "I hope your father isn't giving you too much trouble."

"No, my mother and I managed to convince him to stand down from sect leader after Yanli and I officially wed. We have been planning for about nine months from now for the wedding and then for me to take over the sect," Jin Zixuan explained, "that is why I am here with my mother and fiancée not my father. I wanted to start handling sect affairs."

"That is good," Wuxian said, "congratulations...we are going back to our seats as the meeting is about to start. We can talk again soon."

Yanli and Zixuan nodded and went to their seats. Wangji and Wuxian did the same. During the meeting, Chifeng Zun has granted honored titles to Wangji and Wuxian. Wangji gaining his original title, Hanguang Jun, and Wuxian being titled Jingshen Laozu. (*Description at the end of chapter.*) Jiang Cheng received his official title as well, Sāndú Shèngshǒu.

"Before this meeting concludes, Zewu Jun has an announcement," Chifeng Zun said.

Lan Xichen stood up along with Wangji, "I would like to announce that my brother Hanguang Jun and his partner Jingshen Laozu are to be officially married in six months time. We will be sending out invitations shortly."

"I didn't know Hanguang Jun was a cut-sleeve. Why with a son of a servant of all people?" Sect Leaded Yao questioned.

Wei Wuxian kept his mouth shut as he was one who always had a hard time speaking up for himself about that general topic. Lan Wangji was furious of course and did not keep his mouth shut, "Sect Leader Yao, it has once come to my attention that you requested an arranged marriage between me and your niece. I was nearby when you visited to discuss it with my Shufu and Fuqin when he was still alive. Now that I am officially engaged you dare to insult my fiancé in front of me? I have long known that I never liked the idea of marrying a woman, let alone a man but Wei Ying is different because he is my soulmate."

Lan Xichen smiled and also spoke, "let's also not forget that Wei Wuxian is the son of Cangse Sanren who was a very successful and respected cultivator who is also the biological daughter or Baoshan Sanren. That makes Wei Wuxian Baoshan's grandson and successor...does it not?"

"You have also gotten Wei Changze all wrong," Sect Leader Jiang said, "he was my second and head disciples not a servant. If you think second in command is a servant then shame on you for saying so. You are basically shaming your own head disciples and second in command."

"Fengmian, you dare speak up for that brat?" Yu Ziyuan spat.

"I do, and I always will. If not for Wei Wuxian's parents, I would have died a long time ago!" Jiang Fengmian yelled back at her.

"What nonsense are you spouting?" Yu Ziyuan questioned.

"How do you think I came to know that Wei Wuxian was lost on the streets as a child?" Jiang Fengmian said, "I happened to be in the area when his parents died. They were fighting an Aoyin and they were heavily wounded. I was nearly killed my self but Wei Changze stepped in and took a horn to the gut for me. As for Cangse, she died not only from her injuries but from a broken heart due to her husband's death. Her last wish was for me to find her son and take him in. Her last wish was to give her sword and her husband's flute to Wei Wuxian when he was of age."

Wei Wuxian stood there in shock. After all these years, Jiang Fengmian had known of his parents' deaths. He was there. He took him off the streets and tried to give him a home, but Yu Ziyuan would never accept him. Jiang Wanyin also had a hard time accepting him at first. Wei Wuxian couldn't stay in that hall for a second longer and ran out in tears and heavy breathing. Lan Wangji followed him to make sure he didn't hurt himself. Wei Wuxian just went back to his guest room.

"L—Lan Z-Zhan?!" Wei Wuxian said in panic, "c-can't br-breathe."

"I know, just try to calm your mind, take some deep breaths," Wangji said as he pulled him into a hug, "I am here."

They stood there in silence for a while. It took some time for Wuxian to calm down enough to speak again "Why tell me all this now?" He asked.

"I am not sure," Wangji said, "we can get more answers if you want. We can take our time."

"I need time, that was too much," Wuxian said, "I am sorry that people are shaming you because of me."

"Ignore them," Wangji said, "you are all I want."

Wuxian nodded and melted more into Wangji's arms. Lan Wangji lifted him up off the floor and carried him to the bed. The two relaxed on the bed for the rest of the day. Wei Wuxian ended up falling asleep at some point as his panicking caused him to get a bit exhausted. Wangji didn't mind. Wei Wuxian needed to rest after the day he had.

////////////
- Jingshen: spirit or spirituality; purify one's body;
- Jing: Essence of the body
- Shen: a beneficent spirit of the dead; Shen are associated with the yang (bright, active) aspect of the cosmos and with the higher, spiritual component of the human soul
- Laozu: patriarch

Hanguang Jun: Light Bearer; holder of light
Han — to hold
Guang — light
Jun — honorific for a gentleman or man or noble character

Sāndú Shèngshǒu:
三毒 sāndú – lit. three poisons; a Buddhist phrase for the root of all turmoil (greed, anger, ignorance)
圣手 shèngshǒu – skilled

Aoyin were monstrous animals found in Chinese mythology, commonly believed to attack and devour humans. Like many such fantastical beasts, they were largely created to pass time and provide challenges for folk heroes or frighten children away from dangerous places.