Chapter 31⚠️

⚠️Sensitive material in this chapter include, topics and descriptions of violence, blood, death, and gore.

Please read with caution⚠️
.
.
.
__________

The emergency alarm blared throughout the entire sect. Cloud Recesses was under attack and everyone who was unable to fight, evacuated to the cold caves. Everyone else was prepared to fight for their home. Wei Wuxian was standing with Chenqing at his waist and Suibian in his hand beside Wangji. Lan Xichen was once again, the one to take the sacred texts and leave with them. Jingyi actually went with him so he didn't have to have Meng Yao help him this time as it would have been the start to Meng Yao's reign.

Qingheng Jun and Lan Qiren were helping the disciples evacuate to the caves, while Wangji and Wuxian were standing ready with a group of archers. The archers were scattered throughout the area waiting for their cue. The Wen Soldiers were still trying to break through Wei Wuxian's improved barrier. Wuxian felt that it was good improvement.

"Lan Zhan, why don't you go help your Shufu and Fuqin and I will stay with the archers. I have my flare if we run into trouble," Wuxian told him.

"Be safe," Wangji agreed and turned to leave.

"Lan Zhan," Wuxian said and grabbed his arm. He then pulled him in to kiss him. Wangji kissed him back with vigor. It lasted for a moment before Wangji pulled away, "be safe too."

Wangji nodded and left to help his father and uncle. Wuxian then took out his flute and started to play. Those who were still outside the barrier were starting to feel their spiritual power drain. Soon everyone outside the barrier passed out from exhaustion and they didn't even fight anyone yet. Wuxian lowered Chenqing and placed him back into his belt before getting Suibian back in hand.

"Archers, are you ready for the second raid?" Wuxian called out.

"Yes Young Master Wei," they said in unison. Wei Wuxian had never felt so respected like this before. It gave him a new perspective of himself, it gave him strength that he didn't realize that he had or needed. Soon, a second wave of Wen Soldiers finally broke through the ward. When they got into position, the archers let their arrows fly. About two thirds of the soldiers were eliminated right away.

"Since their numbers have dropped, retreat back as planned," Wuxian called out.

Wuxian left with the archers. He had the stronger archers lead and some follow behind to watch their backs. They soon retreated to the cold caves. Wuxian entered and noticed that Wangji, Lan Qiren, and Qingheng Jun were not here yet, "elders, I will go look for Sect Leader Lan, keep everyone else safe. If any trouble happens, get someone to send off a flare. Archers, stand up front to protect the others," Wuxian ordered.

"Yes Young Master Wei," Some disciples said.

Wei Wuxian left the cave and ran towards the back hills. He found Sect Leader Lan, Lan Qiren and Wangji having a standoff with Wen Xu. There were younger Lan disciples who have yet to get to the caves. Since Wuxian was at a distance, he pulled out Chenqing and began to play again. He played the same tune that helped knock out everyone at the front gate. Soon Wen Xu and his soldiers collapsed to their knees out of weakness. Wuxian stopped playing and put Chenqing in his ring before going over to Wangji.

"Lan Zhan? What happened?" Wuxian asked.

"We got cornered, did you just do this?" Wangji asked.

"It's a piece I found in your music selection," Wuxian told him, "we should get these disciples to safety," Wangji nodded and he and Wuxian both helped the young disciples retreat. Qingheng Jun and Lan Qiren were both keeping watch on the Wen Soldiers. Just as Wuxian had turned to leave, Wen Xu, who was faking his weakness, lunged forward and went to strike Wei Wuxian. Lan Qiren quickly jumped in and blocked with his sword.

"Shufu?" Wuxian called out.

"Go, help Wangji," Lan Qiren told him.

Wuxian nodded and left with Wangji. As Wangji and Wuxian were entering the cave they heard shouting, "Didi?!" Qingheng Jun yelled.

Lan Qiren was stabbed in the lower abdomen, but seemed to be okay. Qingheng Jun, out of anger pushed Wen Xu away and with a fiery thrash, he cut Wen Xu's head clean off his shoulders only to take an arrow to the heart right after. Wuxian's eyes landed on the person who shot the arrow and he was in Gusu Lan attire. It was Su She who shot the sect leader.

"Fuqin!" Wuxian yelled.

Wangji's heart also almost came to a halt at the sight and he didn't want to lose his father after finally getting caught up after all these years. He knew though, the arrow was pierced just right in the heart. Tears fell from Wangji's eyes.

"Lan Zhan?" Wuxian asked as he began to tremble, "I am so sorry."

Wangji started to noticed that Wuxian was finding a reason to take the blame for Qingheng Jun's death as he and Lan Qiren helped him get away, "it's not your fault," Wangji told him, "he died protecting his family."

"I am still sorry," Wuxian said.

Lan Qiren had killed Su She for killing his brother and Sect Leader. He then managed to lift Qingheng Jun's body from the ground and brought him to the cave, "you two, I know you are probably in pain from seeing what happened, but the indoctrination is about to start. Please be careful and come back home safely," Lan Qiren said.

"Shufu, I am sorry," Wei Wuxian said.

"It's alright, son," Lan Qiren said, "he protected us both. I am still here though. I might be wounded but I will take care of myself and help rebuild while you two are away. I promise I will be okay."

"We will try to keep in touch," Wangji said.

"Be safe," Lan Qiren said and entered the cave.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji went to the Jingshi and saw that it was untouched. The two changed into fresh robes and packed up some into their rings. They had emergency rations stored as well and they took out their fake swords and put their real swords away. They then made their way to Qishan.

"Well we be in more trouble as Wen Xu is dead?" Wuxian asked.

"I am not sure, but we will get through this together," Wangji said.

"Oh, I made one more charm if you'd be willing to let me give it to you," Wuxian said.

"Mnn," Wangji nodded. Wuxian wrote the script for the charm and flicked his wrist to push the charm into Wangji's Solar Plexus, "what is this?"

"Core protection Spell," Wuxian answered as he applied the charm to himself, "I am still debating on giving it to Jiang Cheng. Our son and Jin Ling has it as well as Lan Xichen as Jingyi. As they will be around Wen Zhuliu most. We won't know what we will be facing when we step into Wen territory."

"You are still the smartest man I know," Wangji said.

"Lan Zhan, I am sorry about Fuqin."

"I know, I am too," Wangji said, "just know I do not blame you, and no one else does. He died protecting the family."

"I am just sorry," Wuxian said, "even Shufu got hurt. Those events still happened. Just like in Sizhui's timeline."

"There is still changes. More structures have been saved and more people are also alive. There were less fatalities and deaths. That is still a change. Also, the Yin Iron is gone and Su She is dead," Wangji said.

"I would have killed him if Shufu didn't beat me to it," Wuxian said.

"Me too, but he is still gone," Wangji said.

"So that means, Zewu Jun will be Sect Leader again when he returns with Jingyi," Wuxian said.

"Mnn, it won't be much of an adjustment for him," Wangji said, "it will be something to get used to again though."

"Mnn," Wuxian nodded, "I also promise not to anger Wen Chao...as long as he doesn't give me a reason to."

Wangji chuckled, "I trust you."

"And I love you too."