57.

The evening air was filled with tension as the Blue Plate restaurant's elegant ambience masked the brewing storm within. Denise sat at the table, her thoughts still lingering on the strange encounter she witnessed earlier - Manjiro and Rika together, seemingly enjoying a casual dinner who is now sitting awkwardly in front of her.

Dinner continued, but Den's mind was elsewhere. The moment they finished their meal, Donatello excused himself with a polite smile, claiming some urgent business.

"Excuse me my dear, but I need to go now," Donatello said as he looked sadly at his younger cousin. "Some urgent matter needed my presence and I could not decline it any further." Den watched him leave, a flicker of concern in her eyes, but she decided not to press him.

As the evening progressed, the tension clung to her like an invisible shroud. Den couldn't shake the feeling of whether to stand up and make the two people in front of her bath in champagne and wine or stand up and walk out quietly as if nothing happened. When the dinner concluded, she chose to stand up, intending to leave with Haruchiyo and go home.

However, as she was about to, Manjiro called her, and an awkward pause filled the air. Rika and Haruchiyo could sense an unspoken tension, a subtle shift that made both of them uneasy so did the Bonten executives who were now closely approaching their table as Donatello and his gang were by now gone. Den eyed Rika, who was trying to hide her discomfort, and then turned to Manjiro, his expression a mix of guilt and reluctance.

"You can explain yourselves now." Den demanded, her voice firm yet tinged with vexation.

Manjiro hesitated, exchanging a glance with Rika. "Wife, please listen to what I am about to say calmly okay?" he finally said, guiding her away from the prying eyes of the restaurant patrons.

Once in a quieter corner, the truth spilt out. Mikey explained the mission - investigating Donatello Lombardi, assessing the threat he might pose to the Bonten family, and the contingency plan to eliminate the danger. Den's breath caught in her throat as the weight of the revelation settled in.

"Eliminate him?" Den whispered, her voice barely audible. "Manjiro Sano, that's my brother! You're talking about my family!"

Manjiro sighed, running a hand through his silver hair. "Wife, I know this is hard to process now, but please understand the situation first... Please... I don't really have a choice."

"Choice? What about trust? Did you think I couldn't handle the truth?" Den's eyes were a mix of hurt and anger.

Rika stepped forward, attempting to offer some clarity. "Mrs. Sano, it wasn't about not trusting you. We were trying to protect you from the burden of this situation."