58.*

Chapter 10: Is it Over Now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the quiet stillness of dawn, the mansion seemed to hold its breath. Mikey stirred from the depths of a restless slumber, his thoughts tangled in the remnants of the previous night's fight with his wife. The guestroom walls felt like a shield, a temporary sanctuary from the storm brewing in his heart. He had chosen this seclusion, hoping to give Denise space and time to ease the tension that crackled between them.

Truth be told, Mikey was scared. He dreaded facing Denise, dreaded confronting the truth lurking in the hollow of their argument. Doubts gnawed at his resolve, and Denise's parting words echoed mercilessly in his mind. 'You're a coward, Manjiro.'

Before those dark thoughts could completely engulf him, a faint, delicate knock rapped at his door. The soft, innocent voice of his daughter, Emma, cut through the thick fog of his anxiety.

"Daddy? Are you here?" The child's voice, a melody of concern and curiosity, tugged at his heartstrings. Mikey hastily composed himself, masking his inner turmoil with a gentle smile, and strode to the door.

"Yes, sweetie... Good morning" He greeted, enveloping Emma in a warm embrace as she giggled and clung to his legs.

"Emma was looking for Daddy! But you weren't with Mommy. Why's that?" The little girl's innocent questions pricked at Mikey's heart. He couldn't bear to burden her with the weight of their troubles.

"Your mom's tired, sweetie, and I didn't want to bother her."

"Hmm... Okay!" Emma's response was simple, quite doubtful as her dad was acting strange so was her mom but the child didn't want to pry. She tugged at Mikey's hand, leading him towards the kitchen for breakfast, chattering excitedly along the way.

"Where's your mom, sweetie?"

"Mommy's with Auntie! They said they'd cook Emma's favourites!"

Mikey's heart sank with every step. Should he join them at the breakfast table or retreat to the solitude of the guest room? Denise's words taunted him, paralyzing his decisions with self-doubt.

As they neared the dining area, Mikey and Emma bumped into Koko and Rindou, who were on the verge of leaving the room. The atmosphere felt charged with unspoken tension.