4

CHAPTER FOUR || ISOLATION

—————————————————————————-

the following morning began with digging. digging graves. Alex and Glenn had been digging graves for what felt like all day, yet it was only just approaching 11 am. The Georgian sun against Alex's Skin causing her body to be covered in a thin layer of sweat as she pushed the shovel into the Ground scooping out more dirt, her lungs heaved, the pain in her back begging for her to take a break yet she didn't. she couldn't.

Wiping the hair from her face she looked across from her to see Glenn digging, his sleeves rolled up, his sweaty hair falling onto his forehead, the sun accentuating the muscles on his forearms as he dug. he was beautiful, and he was hers...

looking to her left she could see other members of the prison Also digging graves. the tension hung thick in the air as the lives lost the previous day caused grief to hang between everyone. the happiness that had flooded the prison only days prior having diminished. 

Alex couldn't help but think what would happen if she lost anyone else; Rick, Carl, Judith, Glenn... anyone else in the group, anyone else she considered family. she still thought about Eli. all the time. she could barely go an hour without memories of her best friend, her brother flashing before her eyes. She couldn't do it.

lori lingered in her mind every time she looked at Judith, the promise she'd made to both herself and Lori wouldn't leave her mind. she had to protect them. but against a virus... she wasn't sure what she could do. and there it was again, that helplessness that never seemed to leave her mind, with Lori, Eli, Glenn...   

**

"Sam!" Alex caught sight of the brunette rushing into the Cellblock, Wiping the sweat from her forehead she jogged to catch up with him, his long strides making it take a second longer for Alex to catch up. Sam turned his head looking at Alex as she caught up with him, walking beside him.

"Look Sam I'm sorry about yesterday.. it's-" Sam. cut her off without a second word, his long strides making it difficult for Alex to keep up with him, he was in a rush.

"it's all good, it's PTSD. my dad had it." He brushed off her apology, understanding the struggles that came with PTSD yet a sense of urgency clung to his Quick apology catching Alex off guard as she noticed the blunt tone in his voice and the expression of panic covering his features

"Someone killed Karen and David. burnt them. just spoke to Tyreese said rick went crazy" He continued, his words completely catching Alex off guard. As her pace instantly sped up matching his, someone killed? rick went crazy?

"What?! where's Rick?" she exclaimed in disbelief, now understanding Sam's bluntness as she followed him. The pair rushed into the prison their long strides now matching as they rushed to figure out what the fuck had happened, Alex rushed ahead of Sam anxiety filling her stomach. rick went crazy... what was that supposed to mean?

"Rick, what the fucks going on?" Alex exclaimed as she barged into the infirmary, heart racing,  Sam right behind her as she saw Rick sitting at a table while Hershel Cleaned the wounds on his hands. a bruise forming on the side of her uncle's face just below his eye socket as she rushed toward him and Hershel.

"Karen, David. they're dead." He sighed his uninjured hand running down his face, The stress of everything was a shock to his system since the past few months had been relatively peaceful then in the past few days everything had taken a shocking turn for the worst filling everyone with the familiar dread that came from the fear of death, the fear of leaving the safety of the prison.